May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 257 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty sure that local gun shows like we have around here are where broken guns all go to die. I go because I see my buddies there and sometimes manage to sell something I carry around the aisles, but every time I buy something, unless its new in the box, it seems to end up with something wrong with it that I didn't notice...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The bigger shows around here--not that any in IA are all that big--it's like always pretty much the same guys on the "circuit". You can sometimes do OK, trolling, if you stand by the door. Bad economy, you never know what someone might be unloading.

There's one local show, held just once a year, that I almost always hit. Picked up a very nice little SKB sxs for our RGS banquet a few years back, way under market. Also found a nice Zoli 20ga OU made for Sears, really cheap. That show never has a lot of doubles, but almost always a buy or two in just about every category. One year, it featured the most godawful collection of Marlin 90's I've ever seen. If you wanted one of those, that guy had it--although I thought his prices were pretty steep.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun shows are like a box of chocolates. You never know what your gunna get.
I have bought some nice and interesting guns in the last year. Some for my self and some for resale. I usually have more doubles on my tables than the whole rest of the show. But other dealers have stuff show up and you never know what is gunna come through the door. Last show a extremely nice English side-lock in a makers case walked through the door. That does not happen often but if you don't go it will never happen. Also bought a 1915 model H&R 28ga single shot that I had to have for my grandson .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like gunshows for bargains in reloading supplies and ammo. Sometimes there is an estate sale at the show and you can pick up stuff that is cheap and vintage. We tend to pack rat stuff away and when we depart this earth someone takes your stuff to a show and it tranfers to another guy. I'm trying to use the stuff that I pick up. Last show I got a keg of HiSkor-700X for $120. May not sound like a great deal to some but that is what you pay for an 8 pounder today, this was an older Dupont keg and they contained 12 pounds. I have not used 700X for many years prefering Red Dot and Promo instead but I guess I'll be using it now. Recently loaded all the 38/.357 magnum bullets that I have been collecting for years at the shows cheap. Some of these dealers make me laugh though. As an example the guy might have a half bag of shot and he wants full retail price for it. He carries this heavy half bag of shot from show to show for years. I would think that making as many transactions as possible is where the money is. I wonder how some of these guys pay for the table. Maybe it's their hobby lugging heavy crap around. I rarely buy guns at shows partly because I go underfunded but sometimes there is something that I can't live without. Yes I have some stories of I should have bought that paticular gun and walked away. Most shows I can buzz thrue quickly now because they have changed thrue the years. I walk past the endless rows of AR-15 parts and barrels and have no interest in knife collecting. At least you can get a good snack at the jerky dealers. Anymore I can even pick up a suprise for my wife at a gunshow wich is sad. I remember when I could get surplus 8mm Mauser and 7.62x39 really cheap,I shoot more than just shotguns you know. Now any ammo is expensive. I carry a duffle bag at the really big shows so I don't have to go back except for the heavy stuff. I have to tutor the gunshow amatuers not to buy the ammo at the first table they stop at then have to carry it the rest of the day. Gunshows have changed but I am hooked. I'm looking for that next deal down the next isle!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have watched the gun show transition from primarily collector venues back in the 60s to high powered dealer dominated events today. I still go but it's more of a social event for me but occasionally I'll find something worth buying.
The character mix stays about the same though. In addition to the the half bag shot guy at full retail is MOM and POP. They generally wear hats like Old Fart and Old Farts Wife. Old Fart is rarely at his table and The Wife is clueless about how to deal on anything.
Then you have the Johnny Come Lately dealer/expert who thinks the Blue Book is some sort of Bible. Everything he sells is priced from it. It's too bad he can't read and and understand these at best these are guidelines and it's what you have accumulateed between your ears that determines real value of what's on your table.
Then there's the Truly Nasty Old Geezer who will growl at you if you have the audacity to question his pricing on anything. He doesn't really want to sell anything anyway and this is just his opportuntity to lord what he has over everyone else.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 02/08/10 08:41 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I generally go not planning on making any firearms purchases but in the last five years have made a few good finds. First was a 1942 Swiss K-31 with what has to be the best piece of wood on any gun I have. Next was a French Charlin 16 ga, sxs sliding breech,I initially walked away, did a bit of research and wound up buying it for a little less than half the gun show asking price. Two years ago we had to have what was supposed to be the biggest gunshow in years, turned out to be the biggest flop ever. Weather and other shows down near Houston drew most dealers away. I did score a nice 52 vintage Savage 99EG with a Weaver K 4 scope with Lee dot reticule for about 400. Last find was a nice Swedish Mauser to add to my small collection, dealer had two and I should have bought both.

JJK
Sidelock
Sidelock

We Have all been to the big shows and left empty handed, then a little jerk water show comes along and we find a treasure. Just bought a Savage 1920 250-3000 in very nice condition at a small show and thought I did great. Most always can find a old box of shells or sight we need. Check out those old parts bins! Never know!!!!!

BEWARE OF DOGMA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on where the show is. Big city shows are all pistols and black guns, camo and jerky. The little '"fire hall" shows around here are great. Just when you think you've seen enough Crescents and 311's, you find a little old man selling a Darne for $500 bucks. Yes I bought it. My buddy just bought a 10 ga. Bonehill for $300 at a local town hall show.

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 02/08/10 09:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been hitting a few shows in the s.Ohio and E. Indiana area. Not a lot of doubles show up at these shows. I hit the Indy 1500 as few weeks ago. Mostly all black guns. One nice table of doubles. But the owner really liked them. I did pick up a nice little takedown leather case for small bores. And a Ithaca sun shine recoil pad. Mostly the same guys selling the same stuff at a different venue.
We do have the Ohio Gun Collectors though. Stock full of doubles as a rule. After hitting the clubs shows its hard to go to others. Still have not seen a lot of buying going on there though. Mostly window shoppers and tire kickers. I picked up a elsie 16 at the last show for a reasonable price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

best gun show these days is gunbroker.com.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.