May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (PALUNC, Mike Harrell, btbell, ChiefAmungum, 3 invisible), 827 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,395
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeteM

These tubes had 90+ years of rust. I let them sit for 24 hours in vinegar. Dumped the vinegar and refilled for another 24 hours in vinegar. Took them out, rubbed them down with a scotch-brite pad and ran water over them. A light coat of oil and they were done. Have been sitting now for months with no sign of rust.

Pete

Do they have any deep pitts ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

But on of the joys with pitted barrels is that you can a lot of fun for very little money. I paid £50 for my Jeffery 410, have added £200 in having the action tightened and now have something I really enjoy shooting. One day when have some spare cash will have the barrels sleeved. The same gun if in clean condition is now selling for £1,500 plus at auction. If pristine well over £2000, and they are not making any more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One poster mentioned cleaning a pitted bore with ??? and four 0 steel wool. I prefer to be much more agressive and use fairly coarse emery cloth soaked in oil, repeatedly pushing breech to muzzle, being careful not to mess up the square corner at the breech. Much less invasive than honing but very hard on the pits and rust. I keep the emery paper very wet with oil to minumize scratching. The barrels must be mounted in a vise to apply enough pressure to do any good. I have had great results with this method.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate the views of all who have posted. With full acknowledgement for jOe's dire warnings (which I do take seriously), I've been shooting this old Scott for a number of years like it is, and I think I will try the vinegar and wine cork treatment, then clean the bores up with steel wool or emery cloth or scotch-brite or something like that and see if things look any better. I can't do any damage that way that can't be remedied with a backboring and professional polish. Thanks again for your advice...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I know there is no way to accurately measure the depth a pitt inside a barrel...if it could be honed and remain in proof I'd try it.

Just be sure you get a guy that knows what he's doing....if there is such a thing ?

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years and years ago when I was a young man like many folks at that time, I collected beer cans. One of the tricks back then was to use mixture of Oxalic Acid and water to soak the beer cans in and that would certainly remove all rust, much much better the navel jelly. Wonder why that wouldn't work for pits as well. Frankly, just thought about it reading this thread.

foxes rule
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jOe, I have some shotguns that have been honed to a minimum barrell thickness of less than 20 thousanths. They heve pretty bores and I paid more for them than I should have because of that. I don't think that whoever honed'em out did me any favors. I could probably have the backboring done a thou or so at at time down to an acceptable minimum thickness, but it would just be a bet that the pits would go away that way, and I'd still have the resulting choke change to contend with.

The way I puzzle it out, if minimal backboring would get rid of the pits I don't have a problem (other than cosmetic) anyhow, and if it didn't, I'd have wasted my money...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Do they have any deep pitts ?

Yes they have pits. No sign of further rust since I gave them a bath in vinegar.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

My lifetime supply of emery cloth and 10W30 probably cost me about seven bucks and has made the pits disappear in tens of thousands of dollars worth of bird guns. I don't know what else to say.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, do you use a up and down stroke in the barrel with no rotation? What are you using to hold the emery cloth?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.