April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, HistoricBore, Mills, 1 invisible), 590 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,261
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Terry Buffum #177117 02/02/10 05:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/schedule.asp?t=374931&

modern knife auction in UK, at the end of it what looks like the whole run of knife digests, knife annuals, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Be still mine heart, more or less.

Years ago, I bought an odd-looking engraved knife & sheath at a garage sale, because it felt good to hand.. Yup, a Finnish 8" bladed pukko, with a substantial spine, fuller'd, and long tapered edge. That blade honed up razor sharp and stayed that way.

Over the years I learned to spot the assorted Scando-knife styles, and have a modest using collection. One of them is a leuko, as shown in the above website. They are utility camp knives, and watch where you snap-swing that edge.

Some of the bunch are small little works of art, with nicely tooled leather sheaths. Others are the latest Marttinnii stainless designs, with very practical synthetic handles and loss-resistant sheaths.

At the last Tulsa show there were more to be found in one place, than I've personally viewed in all my total years of hunting them. That's good, and that's bad; because now they have become a 'collectible commodity'. Alas, in the general marketplace they have become SOMETHING SOUGHT FOR THE MONEY, instead of just for their intrinsic qualities. In one way,tho, less of the really neat-0 pre-war and early post-war examples [that require some attention to usage and maintenance] won't get used by up the uninformed.

At any rate, the newer imported, synthetically mounted, pukko styles from Scandoland are great for really hard utility use. Trucks, boats, spare in the trunk: you can't hurt them easily, they have good outdoors resistant steel, razor edges, and long history of informed practical design.

Here's one of the sites: http://www.ragweedforge.com/

Thanks for the links and discussion; in the midst of a URI and head cold, so happy to see things that make me smile.

A PS: Of course there are tons of 'fine art' knives of rare precious components, executed by artisans that are the equal of any who ever lived. I appreciate that genre, in the wide world of knives. But I LIKE the practical folk quality of the traditional older pukko and Swede and Norwgie models. As well, I often visit the Contemporary Long Rifle Association site [CLA], to see what the modern masters of American primitive are up to.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Terry Buffum #177153 02/02/10 09:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The longer bladed knife on the left, in photo of the URL you posted is, with the exception of the handle, almost exactly like my fathers.

A few photos of the one I have. I can't quite make out the maker's last name, but it looks like Kivaitjo for the first, with the last name being worn down some from sharpening and use on field dressing big game.

I wish I would have gotten some information from my uncle. I may be able to get some history from my father.

Last edited by Cameron; 02/02/10 09:23 PM.

Cameron Hughes
J.B. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Michael, I would love to see the pic of Niedner's knife when you are up and about again. That is a lovely powder horn.

I have a puukko like the one pictured below that I plan to use with my 94 in 6.5x55 when it is finished. They are wonderful little knives, mine has a birch bark handle, and is very comfortable to use.

I did some quick research on Scagel, an original is very expensive, and most are pretty crude looking, not at all what I was expecting. I found J. Behring of Treeman Knives makes Scagel reproductions from old Studeabaker springs. They seem very nice, and I think that will probably be the route I take. I would still love to see/hear of any other styles that you think would be appropriate.
Best, JB

Cameron #177155 02/02/10 09:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't notice the signature of the photographer of the photo, that was in the background, when I took the picture. Anyway, here's the last picture of the knife with the background photo.

My photo skills need some work!

Cameron Hughes
Cameron #177170 02/02/10 11:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good site for contemporary Scandinavian knives (Swedish, Finn, and Norwegian) is http://www.ragweedforge.com. The guy that runs it, however wierd his other hobbies, is a straight shooter.

Mike Armstrong #177180 02/03/10 12:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Niedner carried this knife out West when he was a young man and gave it to a friend shortly before his passing. I don't often use it, it scares me a little, the main spring on the big blade is so strong I believe that it would cut off your finger if you closed it on one. It's made by Maher & Grosh Toledo, O. Back when I hunted I went through a pile of knifes but kept coming back to my big two bladed Case, easy to sharpen and does not take up a lot of room. On my third and last Randall a 5-5, ordered a new one a few years ago and could not believe what they charged for it, still in the drawer never used it.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Michael Petrov #177306 02/03/10 10:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a knife but something I made for my late friend Bill Wise.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Michael Petrov #177309 02/03/10 10:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reading the knife postings made me think of the old ones stored in a drawer. The two folders were my dads: A folding Case on the left, and a folding Schrade on the right. It is interesting how similar the folders are to the knife photo Michael posted. I think both of these knives were purchased prior to WWII. As I was learning hunting in the Southern Swamps in the 50’s, I saw very few fixed blade knives, most of the old guys carried a big folder.

The fixed blade is one I purchased in Parry Sound, Ontario, in 1962. You gents that know knives will recognize the original that this German Made knife was copied from.

In the below photo are results of my knife making attempts in 1983. Four are ground from L6 Saw Steel (large band mill blades) and one is hand forged, over a coal fired forge and by using a 200 pound anvil from Sweden, made in 1929. Handles are brown Micarta. Back then I was over ambitious, made a lot of give away knives, and have around 20 more left, ground but without handles. Reserved for future gifts. Next ones will have tiger stripe maple for handles.

If you have good eyes you may see my namesake river in the upper portion of the chart.

Last edited by Altamaha; 02/03/10 11:21 PM.
Altamaha #177484 02/05/10 11:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

great pix Altamaha! I have carried a Case single blade folding hunter like the left hand one in your pic for years. All the knife one needs for 99% of hunting situations. Did a spike bull elk with it once; had to pound the blade thru joints with a rock, but no permanent damage (except to my Dasher station wagon, which had elk hair and blood in its back end for some years--wife not thrilled. But she et the elk readily enough....).

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.