April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Fudd, jake van dyke, ClapperZapper, SKB, bushveld), 467 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H

I have some limited gawking at Parker Repro's. I'd have to buy a 28g, order .410 barrels from CSM and probably have a new forend carved in a small beavertail. Expensive route, but could be a fine gun when finished.

Hey Chuck, how would you like to save about three thousand bucks?

Instead of buying a 28-ga. Parker Repro, then buying the .410 barrel set from Galazan, then having them fitted and then having an additional forend built (good luck finding the hardware)...I suggest you just buy a 28-ga. Repro and a set of 28-ga to .410 Chambermates---you'd then have a bi-gauge set. You'd save thousands--and on top of that--about a pound or two of weight. The Parker Repro represents one of the greatest values in doubleguns anywhere, they are a joy to carry, great handling characteristics is their hallmark and they keep appreciating in value...what a birdgun!

Makes for a sweet little package...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't need another .410 but when I went looking for a SxS, the biggest problem (aside from price) was that most of them had stubby barrels. I wanted minimum 28", as does Chuck, and I ended up with an AOC/SG (Ugartechea). Although Chuck does not seem impressed with the AyA No. 2, if I wanted a sidelock , that's what I'd get. A No. 2 roundbody with 29" barrels and tight chokes. Can't get that from many other builders at anything resembling a reasonable price. The tight chokes probably make it a special order, and that means a long wait. I like the AOC/SG, but I'd also like that extra inch on the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well OK, how about this:

A Cabela's Exclusive AyA Model 4/53 Classic .410

Cal./Gauge: .410 Gauge
Chamber(s): 3"
Barrel(s): 29"
Choke(s): IC/Mod
Weight: 5 lbs. 6 ozs.
Trigger(s): Double Trigger
Stock: Straight/Checkered Stock
Stock Dimensions: LOP: 14 7/8", DAC: 1 1/2", DAH: 2 1/4", CastOff: 1/8"
Fore End: Checkered Splinter
Butt/Pad: Wood
Metal Condition: New
Wood Condition: New
Bore Condition: New
Extras: New with Box

Price: $3499.00
Reference Number: 788716

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11889

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I can tell you about Merkels. I had a 12ga 147E with gorgeous wood. It was CNC machined to VERY tight tolerances and was pretty stiff upon purchase. The manual said it would be and would loosen up, which it did a bit. I'd agree on the aesthetics of the gun; the wood is a bit clubby, especially the forend. The buttstock was gorgeous and had a little cast for a rightie, which I liked. The barrels were absolutely stunning... bluing, bore polish, everything. They were flat out gorgeous. A bit light a gun for shooting 3" magnums through, which I only did ONCE at a duck just to see how the recoil was...it was too much for not having a soft recoil pad and I'm no recoil weenie by any means. I could take or leave the Germanic engraving; a bit too coarse and deep for me also, but this was to be a duck gun. Had it out and it suddenly wouldn't close... I took it apart in my lap as ducks circled 15yds overhead and laughed. It was made so tight that a few grains of powder under the ejectors bound it up. I cleaned under the ejectors with a twig and it was fine. Those things are built to very tight tolerances. I measured the chambers at home and they were .010" larger than any of my 12ga Parkers, hence the excessive blowby of burned powder and bound up ejectors. Sent it back to GSI and they told me "they were made to proper tolerances"... BS I said and sold it to someone in Hawaii. I don't miss it really but at that time I got it all tricked out in a trunk case with all the fixin's for $4200, just 2wks before a 10% across the board price hike. It was and still is a good gun for the money I think. It just had a few warts... If I still had it I would use it in foul conditions where I maybe didn't want to take a Parker out... which has to be pretty foul for me. If I still had it I could shoot up all this uselss steel shot ammo I have languishing in the basement too.... Hope this helps. And Don, you're correct... "Need" has nothing to do with buying that next shotgun...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am partial to Parker Repros but I would NEVER buy another Galazan Barrel set for one. The set that I bought for my 20ga (and paid to have fit) is totally unusable. Repeated attempts to get them done properly have met with horrible customer service and insulting excuses. They make interesting products but do not stand behind them... Do not buy one of their barrel sets you will regret it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

or this

http://www.vintagedoubles.com/inventory.php?sort=1&process=fullview&gunID=1050

Vaughan

Serial# 23457
410 gauge Hammerguns
Price: $3400
Action: Top lever back action with rebounding hammers
Ejector: No
Barrel Type: Steel
Barrel Length: 28
Proof:
Nitro: 3
Black:
Choke:
Left: Cyl.
Right: Cyl.
Minimum Wall Thickness:
Left: .040
Right: .039
LOP: 14 7/16
Drop:
Comb: 1 3/8
Heel: 2 1/16
Cast: 1/4 cast off
Weight: 4 lbs. 10 oz.
FFL Required: No

Description:
Nice little .410 handles like a magic wand! Some light pitting in the barrels which could be removed or left. Wall thickness massive and barrels long and sleek! The wood is in very nice condition. I really like the prince of Wales grip.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay, no more of that wine for me its back to shots and beers.....you get some crazy thoughts when you're drunk on wine!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Then why not an AyA #1?

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can see I'm going to have to go to Vegas this year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will be there. I will let you buy me supper you lucky dog!

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 12/24/09 10:26 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.