March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Pat Gidley, SKB, Der Ami, jcn, RWG, Longknife), 830 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
eeb Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I did it and am pleased with the results on my 1879 Parker D2. When I get it all back together I'll post pictures. After realizing my water was too acidic (hard) I went to distilled. Today I etched after 5 rust cycles and 4 carding cycles over a period of 3 days. The surface was a nice deep black. I brushed on the etchant and the contrast started popping out. When I thought it had gone far enough I washed it down with the hose - mistake. Almost as soon as I did that my barrels started turning GREEN. I realized that it was my well water and soaked them with distlled and etched again quickly. The etchant removed the green, then I covered the barrels with baking soda to stop the reaction. They have turned a bit darker, but still have nice contrast. I figure the finish will wear-in nicely and a perfect redo would look a bit out of place on a 130 year old gun. This was like baking a cake over 3 days, you really have to be vigilant and pay attention to the process. I have another set I'll start again soon. These barrels started with no finish at all and although I know what parker D2 looks like it was fun to watch the pattern pop out. Thanks again to you guys who share your hard-earned knowledge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please post some pictures when you are done. Lots of fun when you get it right.

If your water is acidic,I believe it is soft and would be below 7 which is neutral. You can buy PH strips to test it.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Acidic and hard are diferent issues. Acidic is pH and will cause problems. Hard is contamination with Ionics or "hardness" commonly calcium carbonate and Manganese depending on where you are. Hardness or Ionics also cause lot's of problems. If you can't make deionized water then Distilled is your next best bet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed,
What rusting solution did you use and what strength FeCl4 solution?
Congratulations

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.