April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Marks_21, Kolar Dickson, FlyChamps, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 925 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Laurie:
I am strictly talking about cosmetics here as I see surface spotting for example to the metal which I would personally clean. I certainly am NOT recommending you refinish the gun. My choice of "restoration" in the above post was perhaps too strong a term.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Laurie, Neat gun. Please follow up with more pics in detail. I love this site
Ross

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im not sure I understand the tightening method or why the plate would be removed and polished up. Is the plate pushed out against the barrels to tighten it up? If so isnt that going to leave a gap between the plate and standing breech? Could you post some pics of the rest of the gun? Id like to see the stock, hingepin and forend. Thanks again. Ross

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The plate moves forward and is able to be polished to clean it up. I took the locks off and had hoped to be able to get at the adjustment. It will need to be taken apart more to get at the adjustment. I would worry about the gap between the plate and standing breach as from the patent all that would then support the plate is a 1/4" screw. Not very good in my opinion.
Will give a few more details later. If any are interested.
Cheers,
Laurie

full length view

butt left side with rulers

forend bottom

right hinge pin detail

stock inletting

locks

falling block
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the update, keep them up. Neat gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun weighs 10# 14 oz of which 5# 6 oz is the barrels.

Should have put the biography in with this thread? Thought it would get a bit long with it.
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
Boxlock
Boxlock

I've just inherited an interesting dbl barrel. Markings indicate: "John A.D. Heckenbach's Breech Loader, Patented June 22, 1869, Mayville, Dodge Co, Wis." The breech mechanism is rather complicated in that it extends about an inch before the barrels pivot downwards. I can't really imagine what the cartridge looked like, but I suspect it came from a different planet, devoid of DNA-based life forms.

I will post a few photos as soon as I can figure out how to make that happen . . .

Boxlock
Boxlock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A very interesting gun would like to see it in person. Looks like it could be a needle fire.
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
Sidelock
Sidelock

It does indeed have some resemblance to the Dreyse/Berger/Teschner/Collath breech but with external hammers.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.