May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 667 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is much ado about not modifiying or altering a shotgun from its original configuation. I believe that high end guns mfg. by H&H, Purdy et al are sent back to the maker for refurbushing without lessoning the value. While not anywhere near the the same value as the guns mentioned above, I have been shooting an AYA #2 16 gauge for about 4 years. The stock has been fitted to my dimentions and I have rubbed in a little true oil on the stock to remove scratches. I may have the checkering touched up and will probably refinish the wood in a year or two. Have I destroyed the value of the gun?

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

One common opinion on maintenance of market value of the Spanish clones is that you can't do much. Buy new for 4k, sell used between 2K and 2.5K. That depreciation is built-in when purchased new. I doubt any personalization could produce a result of that magnitude.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think high end British shotguns are gauged by a different set of standards then other firearms collectibles. So "freshening up" seems to be tolerable including re-blueing the barrels.
However this would be the kiss of death for firearms such as Colt SAAs or Lugers. Other opinions?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is a 50% gun in it's original state and refinishing automatically makes it a 50% gun, what have you lost? If you like it, do it.

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had three guns either or all of the following - restocked, engraved and rebuilt for my shooting. I also enjoyed doing some of the work. All were in very poor shape when I started the project so I upgraded the guns. Since they are for my shooting they are only valuable to me. If my kids sell them, they will not be worth the improvements I put in them. Hence, if you plan to keep the gun and shoot it, I'd make the inprovements. However, Do not touch a valuable American colector gun, it will destroy the value.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt you'll hurt resale. Nice as a #2 is, they aren't rare.

I just bought a new #2RA, and am going to have Briley thin wall chokes installed to make it more versatile. If the value drops a bit, so what... I never intend to sell this one anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All Brit guns lose value from wear and from refinishing. However, the state of original finish is more of a market gauge of use and/or abuse, hence remaining life and the probability of needing repairs. True collector guns are highly valued for originality as display (museum) pieces, not using pieces. Two very different reasons for the valuation of original finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a big difference....you can't send a Fox or Parker back to its original maker for refinishing. If H&H refinishes one of their own guns there's no particular reason that should hurt the value.

The idea lies in that the 'hands of the maker' are one thing and the hands of anyone else is another.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sub-standard work for the Original Quality of a gun will de-value it more than on-standard work will. However, the market will always devalue refinish. Refinish implies the gun was shot sufficiently to wear away the original finish which means there is not the same number of shots left in the gun as when it left the maker's shop for the first time. A refinished gun is likely to sell for about 30% of a pristine sample.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know guys that go bonkers over the idea of doing ANYTHING to a vintage/"fine" double, including opening the chokes--which, on most American and Brit doubles, weren't marked when they came from the factory anyhow. If a gunsmith does a good job on them, who's going to know?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.