April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (graybeardtmm3, Jimmy W, earlyriser, 3 invisible), 438 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,209
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Charl Offline OP
OP Offline

This is a rather long post; it probably does not even fit in here so be free to move it or ignore.
I am white South African male 50years old and had a great hunting season. I am middle income but have always had a healthy interested in doubles and own 5 double rifles, 6 single shot rifles and 12 shotguns. I belong to a syndicate that comprises of 6 REAL friends (al varsity friends whom I have known for at least 20+ years) and our 8 sons aged 15-22. We have 2 yearly hunts, both 9 days long, one in April- a so-called ‘plains’ game hunt in Kimberley and a September ‘bush’ hunt in Klaserie, bordering the Kruger National Park.
During the April hunt I took my Scherping 9,3X74R (the only scoped double I own) and shot the biggest warthog I have ever seen; after slaughtering it weighed 85KG’s. We hunted springbuck, eland, gemsbok and warthog and in total accounted for 52 animals. We processed the meat, made biltong and wors, and froze the rest. During this time I shot a number of water birds (geese and ducks) with my 12g Dickson and also put in a couple of hunts for guineas and francolin with my 16g Alex Henry. This made for excellent table fair during the hunt.
During the September hunt we hunted 2 adult Buffalo cows and Impala (all I could permits for) and this time my Westley Richards 450/400 was on standby. I introduced 2 teenage boys to wingshooting (with my old Boss hammergun) and took them hunting for guineas, francolin and partridge amongst the big 5- a seriously good experience.
I also went on a weekend hunt for bushbuck with my .303 Rigby but that was unsuccessful and had another 4 weekends of wingshooting (twice for waterfowl (12g 3” Midland), twice for terrestrial gamebirds (Dickson))
To me, this was a great year- however, a typical year. Am I lucky or is this typical (except maybe for the buffalo) of all our members here? Sometimes I get the impression that the members are seriously knowledgably but shoot the doubles in more formal surroundings. I like to believe that these special pieces need to be used for hunting and please, I am not judging, just making an observation. Your comments will be appreciated.
Charls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right Charls, there are a lot of collectors and experts on this Board that do not use their doubles hard but use them only in formal settings such as sporting clays.
And there are those of us that hunt with their doubles as much as they can.
Pennsylvania for grouse and waterfowl then to South Dakota for pheasants, my old Ithaca double gets used often.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Charls

Sounds like a splendid season to me. Thank you for your post. I was in Zimbabwe in 2005 on business. While there, I had the opportunity to spend a day hunting with a local PH. It was one of the most enjoyable days I've spent afield. Your post brought back some good memories.

Cheers
Marcus

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I doubt if typical. You have much more variety there than in most places. Too late for me to move dammit! Are biltong and wors like what we call bratwurst or sausage (stuffed tubes) and jerky (dried strips or cylinders of ground meat)?

m-4 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Charls,
My name is Mike and I noted your comments on your Scherping. I am the point of contact on Scherping guns for the German Gun Collector Assn. I would really like to see some picures of your gun as well as anything else you can tell me about it. Look forward to hearing from you. I can be contacted at vaughans_hart@yahoo.com

M-4
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: charls
Sometimes I get the impression that the members are seriously knowledgably but shoot the doubles in more formal surroundings. I like to believe that these special pieces need to be used for hunting and please, I am not judging, just making an observation. Your comments will be appreciated.
Charls.

The Easterner's in the U.S. do not have much PUBLIC land to hunt on, just about all of the land in the east is private......therefore, private hunt clubs, skeet and trap ranges and pen raised game farms is the norm, somebody's private farm etc., waterfoul being the exception in some areas..........Key word here is PUBLIC LAND.........

On the other hand, the westerner's in the U.S. have millions and millions of public acres to hunt on and do so with regularity.....and most of their small and large game is natural and wild and abundant.........the exception would be penned up game ranches like some in Texas where the animals are raised, exotic and domestic alike.....(fenced in)......and advertised heavily on T.V...(we call that zoo hunting)......

Personally, I believe in fair chase, PUBLIC LAND hunting only.......but other opinions here will differ for sure..........

Charls:....Sounds like you enjoy precisely the way hunting is supposed to be.....best of luck.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
The Easterner's in the U.S. do not have much public land to hunt on, just about all of the land in the east is private......therefore, private hunt clubs, skeet and trap ranges and pen raised game farms is all they have, waterfoul being the exception in some area

I think there may be a misconception of wild game hunting in the East, well, the Southeast anyway. We do 'put out' bobwhites because the land use down here has destroyed the once world famous wild bird hunting, but the whitetail, bear, and turkey as well the rest of the small game is as wild as Charls' plains and bush game...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the Atlantic Provinces of Canada there's plenty to shoot on the hoof---deer, moose and caribou---and plenty of land, mostly public. If I had the time I'd be gunning with my doubles every day. (I've nearly given up on big game because it seems easy compared to the wing.)

We shared our Canadian Thanksgiving last night with my American buddies from Alabama who put up all the woodcock and ruffed grouse they wanted in New Brunswick, our neighbouring province, and then came home to splendid fly-fishing of salmon on the Margaree and rainbows in the Middle River of Cape Breton.

This is all wild birds; preserves and game farms are not common around here. Hunting is good with lots of land and relatively little hunting pressure. Rarely is there another hunter within a kilometre or two, in the blind or the forest, even on weekends. I think of it as a sort of blessing.

Rifle exclusively CZ Brno circa 1948 7 X 57 for serious hunting; doubles: the American classics of which I'm pretty sentimental, and SKB, Francotte, Sauer, A & N because of their fit, condition and provenance. It's kind of heaven when I think of what I started with on blacks and sea ducks 70 years ago.

Last edited by King Brown; 10/11/09 10:23 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: PA24
The Easterner's in the U.S. do not have much public land to hunt on, just about all of the land in the east is private......therefore, private hunt clubs, skeet and trap ranges and pen raised game farms is all they have, waterfoul being the exception in some area

I think there may be a misconception of wild game hunting in the East, well, the Southeast anyway. We do 'put out' bobwhites because the land use down here has destroyed the once world famous wild bird hunting, but the whitetail, bear, and turkey as well the rest of the small game is as wild as Charls' plains and bush game...Geo

And the doves, ducks, deer and hogs. And there are still a few coveys of wild bobwhites around that we hunt occasionally, for old times' sake.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
[quote=Geo. Newbern][quote=PA24] And there are still a few coveys of wild bobwhites around that we hunt occasionally, for old times' sake.

Yeah, but we don't talk about that too much and we don't share'em with anyone...Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.