May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jem Finch, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 709 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,614
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#162303 09/28/09 09:30 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Heading out to beautiful South Dakota around November 26th through December 4th, any reports good or bad about the bird population?
And thanks Kevin for the information but I figured I'd start another thread, Board tradition dictates, I guess??

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to the SD Game, Fish and Parks website for their 2009 pheasant outlook. I tend to take these forcasts with a grain of salt because particular areas will have more or less birds depending on local conditions.

http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/hunting/Pheasant/Outlook.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm heading to SD in a couple weeks. Huron is where I'm going. The state propogana says bird populations are down about 20-38% in the Huron area from last yr. They balance that statement by saying it's still among a very high count over the last 10 yrs.

I dunno what to make of their retoric. Last yr was just o.k. in the half dozen or so parcels we hunted scattered over about a 10 mile radius and the state said it was some extreme high count yr. It's never been "bad", but it ain't the same as 20 yrs ago either. Still, I get my limit most days and that's all you can ask. I don't come to kill 3 birds in an hour anyway. Sometimes it takes 2 hrs.. LOL...

I'll post my impressions when I return. Your hunt will have entirely different conditions by that time.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck I'm heading to the 'Walk-in Areas' and 'Game Production' areas in areas around Mitchell and Winner are, the only towns that are close or to be more specific area 48 and 49 in the Hunting Atlas.
How are you going to hunt?
With dogs?
Private land?
How large of a group?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Counts in the Winner, Pierre are supposed to be 8>10% higher than last year and there were LOTS of birds last year( inc sharpies and chickens!. I'll let you know when I return from the opener on the 22nd.

best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If I'm not mistaken JBP that looks like a round body, am I correct??
Thanks for the pics and the information, still a little unsure about where to go and what areas to hunt. Taking non-toxic shot so I'll be ready for any area.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you talking about my portly carriage or the gun !!!
Nah- just kiddin, I wish it was a roundbody, but it's a rather pedestrian 1899 W C Scott ( original 2 3/4" / 1 1/4oz proof) 12 bore.

I like these POW grip guns for extensive walking- they're easier on the wrist than an english grip. I will be taking the Lindner Daly however as back up.

best regards,
JBP

Boxlock
Boxlock

This October I am headed to South Dakota for my first Pheasant hunt. Being a Rookie with this game, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I was thinking about taking by 74 year old Model 21, 12 guage F/M… Any recommendations on shot configuration?

Sidelock
Sidelock

les: Early season birds will likely be a bit slower to flush, meaning closer shots. On the other hand, typical hunting in S.D. is "wide open spaces" and, in my experience, shots presented can be pretty long. Not real helpful, I guess, but I don't know where you'll be hunting. In general, I'd say a pre-war Model 21 will be a great choice, and I don't think you'll regret a Mod/Full choke combination.

My advice, though, is to never go on a hunt like this without a back-up shotgun. Take another, and preferably one with a Skeet and/or IC choke. That way, if the birds are flushing real close, you can switch to your more open-choked gun.

On my first trip to S.D. I took my Dad's 1941 Remington Model 11 Sportsman, which went there with him on many trips in the 50s and 60s. In the middle of nowhere, a half-hour from the nearest anything, I shot at a rooster and the Simmons rib "let go," making the gun unfirable. Fortunately, I had my Superlight along, or I would have been S.O.L.

Have a great trip! Shoot 4s and 6s, take a great dog for the days and some good whisky for the evenings. TT

Last edited by Two Triggers; 09/29/09 09:31 PM.

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig,
I'll be hunting private land again. A lot of cornfields (which I don't care for) and some weed and switchgrass fields (my favorite). I'm bringing my Lab. She's recieved most of her training with pheasant and quail being the focus. I believe we had this same conversation last year.

+1 on the backup shotgun. I'd never drive that far without an extra gun. Heck, I don't go local without a backup.

For shot size, I've been happy with #5s the last several yrs for early SoDak pheasant. Sometimes I shoot 6's as well. I haven't shot any 4s since about 20 yrs ago in the early season in SoDak. I hunt mainly with a 20 ga with a 1 oz load.

I've never really figured out if the ditches count as "state" land and require non-tox.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.