May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (buckstix, kemaltunali, AGS, desullivan, eeb, firemanstevec34), 316 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,516
Posts545,689
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

To all fellow vintage British shotgun enthusiasts,

Fantastic gun forums you have in the States. Nothing as good in the UK. I'd like to introduce myself briefly. I am directly descended from the London actioner and outworker E. C. Hodges who is probably best known for licencing his 1871 treble grip patent to Stephen Grant, and I am writing to enlist your help with my gunmaking research.

In the process of researching a book on E.C. Hodges and the other nine gunmakers in the family I am attempting to record all the details of the surviving Hodges-worked guns by English makers, Boss, Purdey, Lancaster, Grant, Army and Navy, Woodward, Lang and Atkin etc.

I have no doubt that many of your members will have guns by these makers and I would be extremely grateful if anyone could send me any relevant gun details through my website, Hodges Gunmakers to build up a more complete picture of the full range of makers my family worked for. There are also so far only seven recorded examples of Hodges own-make guns which I'm extremely keen to improve on.

My website gives lots of information on my family and how best to identify Hodges worked guns as well as all EC Hodges' patents, and also allows gun details to be sent to me easily if desired.

I hope my project will be of interest and look forward to any comments on my project or site.

Best wishes,

Robert Hodges
Cambridge UK

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was an article in shooting times about Hodges recently ,if memory doesn't let me down, as you probably are aware.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes thanks for mentioning it Arnold - I did see it but I don't get all the mags - it would bankrupt me! Bill Harriman acquired a very early gun and he is a Hodges enthusiast now.

If anything else comes up anywhere do let me know. BTW I'm aware of the recent Atkin ledger auction which mentioned EC Hodges and son Lionel. Hopefully they were safely re-acquired by Atkin, Grant and Lang.

Robert

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great project, Mr Hodges. Were your ancestors alive and making guns today they would no doubt be famous, given their skills.

You may be aware but the March 2001 edition of Shooting Sportsman magazine has a feature article -- "The Guns of Henry Atkin" -- with several pics of an Atkin built for JP Morgan and actioned by EC Hodges with his initials or name stamped on the flats. Good luck with project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sent you info on Stephen Grant 12G Hammer Shotgun #4294[#1 of pair]built to Grant and Hodges Patent#251 of 1871. Please be advised that the form on your web site will not accept my E mail address.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Robert, I work in the uk as a barrel finisher so I get to see a lot of barrels/guns If anything shows up I will give you a shout.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert, just a possibility. If you know your local Firearms Enquiry Officer he may be able to check the National Firearms Database for you. He should be able to furnish you with the information, at least about how many Hodges guns exsist in legal ownership in the U.K., and in what guages. This would not compromise the Data Protection Act. He would of course be unable to tell you who owns them. This was done for me about Derbyshire made guns in the county of Derbyshire where I live with no problem at all. Only the county based data was available at that stage. Worth asking and they should be able to give serial numbers too. Lagopus.....

DGM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot at Churchills shooting grounds this past week with an English friend who was kind enough to let me shoot a beautiful Hodges sidelock he owns. He is a bit of a Hodges enthusiast and has told me much about the company. I have forwarded your information on to him.

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert Hodges, Very nice "Website",It usually takes a while for something such as you have started to Catch the Attention of the American "Punters". I know of several Collectors/ Shooters who have, (Or have had in recent times) "Hodges Guns". I myself seem to remember working on several in the last 40 odd years. You might give"Old Jack Rowe" (Britains Oldest Living Gunmaker here in the Colonies an email) He is still "Standing" and breathing Fire'. Regards. Tevallion of Paddington'.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks to all - will follow up on all your suggestions and info. Sorry I have been out of action for nearly a year but 'Life' intruded on my hobby big-time, but I'm now back and raring to go again...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.