Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jorge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen:
I've acquired an extremely tight and well fitted (wood to metal) game scene engraved 16 ga hammer double marked C.L. Schindler Sohn Zella & Gotha. The museum curator at Zella said the highly regarded Schindler firm began in 1769 and continued through WW1. The curator, a Herr von Nordheim was helpful, but insisted the gun should have proof marks required by the guild if before 1891 and by German law if after 1891. It has neither obvious proof marks nor a serial number. I hoped that by taking it down I could locate some in a location other than the water table. The problem is removing the forend. The piece resembles the Samuel Rubin Morgenroth double rifle featured in the Summer 2008 double gun and the E. Dotter double currently on Gunbroker. There is a sort of teardrop shaped knurled protrusion attached to an engraved forend tip that seems to have something to do with takedown, but it won't budge and I am afraid to force it. It won't twist, it can't be pulled or pushed and downward force is not working.I have been advised that this may be a LeFaucheux action. A horn lever under the forend moves to the right to open the gun and exposes the flat wood of the forend and two screws. Am I missing an obvious step?
Thanks for any help. Jorge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jorge:

The larger horn lever should release the tubes from the frame and the smaller lever, or sometimes pin, releases the forend from the forend lug. Can you give a site on the Gunbroker Dotter? It sounds like a LeFaucheux and the forend should be attached to the frame.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Jorge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey,
Thanks for your reply. The large horn lever opens the action, but the small protrusion on the tip doesn't budge. Here is the site for the E. Dotter on gunbroker:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/viewItem.asp?Item=140474017
Best regards,
Jorge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jorge:

Hopefully it is just bound and/or rusted and not broken. Have you tried pressing the forend to the tubes while attempting to move the lever. If I recall correctly the lever moves to the left similar to the Rigby style forend latch.

That's an interesting piece on Gunbroker.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Jorge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey,
The small lever attached to the forend seems integral with the engraved inlaid tip. There doesn't seem be evidence of rust in the area, but it could be bound. Are you saying that the little protrusion, or tip, may need to be moved to the left? That's interesting...lateral movement I have yet to try. The big horn lever moves to the right opening the gun for loading. I'll try pressing the forend to the tubes and move it to the left tonight. My Schindler is similar to the one on gunbroker, except for a more subdued (rounded) cheekpiece and more elaborate horn/metal trigger guard design. Thanks and all the best, Jorge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, all motion should be in the horizontal plane. As you move the lever to the left, a bar passes out of a notch in the front of the forend lug. Pleasure us with some pic when you get it apart.

I didn't know Christian Ludwig Schindler had it's origins in the late 18th Century. It is possible but usually it is a sequential family line of gunsmiths. By 1900 it was listed as Christian Ludwig Schindler & Sohn Zella Saint Blasii.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder what the know behind the triggerguard is for on the Dotter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jorge,
If you can email me some pics of your gun I will post them for you. Use the macro(looks like a flower)setting on your camera for close up shots of the forend. The knob on the gunbroker gun looks like it may unscrew??
Ross
ross@berck.org ross@berck.org

Last edited by reb87; 09/23/09 10:09 PM.

Jorge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey,
Bingo! Last night I moved the tip lever to the left and it moved as you suggested. I felt like Indy Jones finding the secret door. It is very well fitted, but it moved smoothly with some stiffness...almost like a new gun. Needless to say, I am thrilled and grateful for your assistance.. Tonight I'm going to carefully complete the takedown and search for proofmarks. Mr. von Nordheim of the museum in Zella-Mehlis told me that the Schindler firm was passed down from Christian Ludwig (founded in 1769 at Zella-Saint Blassi) all the way to his great grandsons. Mine is marked in gold on the rib Zella-Gotha along with the name C.L. Schindler Sohn. Thanks again and I'll let you know about the proof marks and try to post some decent photos. I'm really tempted to try some RST's in this thing.
Best regards,
Jorge

Jorge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ross,
That would be a big help. The last time I tried photos, I had limited success...both with photo quality and posting. I'll give it another try and send them. I appreciate the offer. It turns out that the knob is moved to the left and presto!
Regards
Jorge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.