March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, earlyriser), 694 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said, EDM.

Original condition is king.

99.9% of the time, people don't restore guns. They refinish them. And unless it's a bargain, refinished is not worth the $$$$.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are many, many Parker collectors who own far more than 20 guns. I'd have a hard time faulting their direction. The expert/collector who feels 20 is an ideal number would own 100 if only he could get his hands on them.

Similarly, the fallacy that only high condition and/or high grade guns is a ruse put forth by those who are quietly buying all the guns that they are telling others to avoid. I'll buy all the $2,000 28 ga 30% case color guns you can point me towards.

There are many expert/collectors who own high condition guns that they don't even realize were in some way propped up or sometimes they do know it and aren't telling anyone.

The thing about collecting is there are few hard and fast rules.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently inherited 1/2 of my Father's collecton of firearms. My Father only owned guns he wanted to shoot, and, to a very large degree, the guns I got from him look the part.
I suppose his model 241 Remington, the first gun he purchased for himself new, circa 1946, or so, is worth more than he paid for it. Likely his Silver Snipe would be worth more than the $163 he paid, inspite of it's refinished stock.

But, for myself, and his only grandson, that misses the point by a long margin.

Keep only guns you enjoy using. Any "investment" will be found only there, usually. Your heirs can quibble about what it's worth, since, from what I've seen, few people liquidate before their end.
Dad didn't. I won't. I'm not betting on you, either.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are plenty of people who die with a desk full of stock certificates. A lot of times those stocks are worth near nothing, also.

Then again, I guess a Winchester won't be as useful as a stock certificate if you run out of toilet paper.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel the best "return" I get from my gun collecting "investments" is not potential dollar appreciation but the interesting people I meet with a common interest. In my case it resulted in organizing the Fox Collectors Assoc. I have made many new friends and that has been most satisfying. As they say that return is priceless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its hit and miss,and its all a wash in the end,when all is tallied.
You`ll make some and lose most if your in it long enuf.
Patience for the sale will net more greenbacks,but makes it hardly worth it.
Buy what you like,at what is your fair price,enjoy it,part with it
only if something better comes along-and youre ready to.
Two steps forward-one step back...but we tend not to notice the one step back in the quest for upgrades.
If I kept every gun that was in my possesion at one time,I would easily have over 100 guns,but Im not into dead weight.
To answer the question.
You dont make money selling a gun,you make your money when you buy it.Buy it Right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of original finish is certainly desirable,but there are a lot of high dollar and eagerly sought after Winchesters and Colts that don't have 70% finish left.They do have original condition and sought after factory options.Rarity trumps condition for many collectors.One of the nicest doubles I ever saw was a B grade Lefever 10 guage with about 50% case color and beautiful patina on the barrels and stock.That was over 35 years ago and I wish I had had the $300 dollars the guy wanted for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Put your home up for sale, sell your Aston Martin - see how you do! Hey, cash outta the market also.
Not much of anything has retained it's value.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Put your home up for sale, sell your Aston Martin - see how you do! Hey, cash outta the market also.
Not much of anything has retained it's value.

GLD (gold
SLV (silver), and SGG (Sugar)have all done pretty good for me !

The doubles may not be holding up well ,but Lugers and Wartime Walther PP and PPK's have been steady increases in value.The time you make money with guns is when and how you buy them,not when you,or more then likly your estate sells them !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

About the time I graduated from high-school (1979) a correctly restored model A Ford in the right trim was worth almost $50,000. They don't bring 20% of that today. The worst investment of the new millinium is said to be any old mopar with a hemi engine in it but, that wasn't the case just three short years past.
I think I have about 19 guns, and my accumulation was static for many years before my Father's stuff came along and filled up the rest of the safe. Funny, but when I think of what I'd sell first, none of them jump to the front in my thinking. Hope someone makes some money on them, I doubt it will be me.
Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.