May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (AGS, Thaine), 306 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,516
Posts545,688
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160336 09/07/09 10:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I plan on going back to GA to do some plantation hunts again this fall and winter.

Last year we hunted Quail Country Plantation (west of Albany GA) and Pine Hill Plantation (west of Thomasville, GA). This year, I may go back to Quail Country for a few days. My father and brother are going back there in late Nov. I was considering a trip with my father to Riverview Plantation (in Camilla GA). I was also looking at Buckeye Plantation in Midville GA.

Have any of you hunted at Riverview or Buckeye?

Do any of you have other recommendations for plantations hunts in Alabama, Georgia, or Florida?

Quail Country Plantation- Arlington GA
http://quailcountry.com/

Pine Hill Plantaion- Donalsonville GA
http://pinehillplantation.com/

Riverview Plantation- Camilla GA
http://riverviewplantation.com/

Buckeye Plantation- Midville GA
http://buckeyeplantation.com/

Thanks!

Adam

Last edited by Adam Stinson; 09/07/09 10:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Riverview is the 'original' commercial quail 'plantation' around here in Georgia, goes back to the 1950's; and it does not get any better...fine accomodations and food, first class dogs and eqpt. and beautiful grounds along the Flint River...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunted Riverview several times about 10 years ago.. First Class--run by the Cox family for generations. Food and lodging are exceptional.
Tell Cader Cox that Linn said hello.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted Gopher Plantation just West of Waycross, Ga. several times. My partners on these trips have visited many of the plantations in Georgia and S.C. including several you mentioned. Their universal opinion was Gopher offered a lot of bang for the buck. The accomodations are rustic but comfortable and charming; no "Gone With the Wind" settings here. The food is superb and served country style. Quail is just one of the species of game Gopher offers. Its common to see deer, hogs, and turkey on the way the bird plots. They offer different fields that have varying levels of challenge.

We've also used Gopher's grounds. For a very reasonable fee you can bring your own dogs and have a guide direct you to the field where they've released an agreed upon number plus some extras. Bird quality has fluctuated from runners and jumpers to quail that flew like wild birds. Using your own dogs, no guide, and not staying overnight puts the price of hunting more in line with a round of golf and less on the level of the cost of a cruise.

Most important, they're nice folks. Not pretentious nor pretending, these are just mannerly Southern folk who love to hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,

If you go, post some pictures again. I really enjoyed the ones you posted last time!

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam, I live about 45 minutes from Buckeye, but have never shot quail there. I shot sporting clays on their course for several years until one opened closer to home and they semi-closed their range. Very nice place, beautiful lodge, but alas, I can't help you with the hunting there.

Best wishes, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot at Southern Woods a couple of years back. Really nice folks, great food, nice fields, Probably not quite as pricy as some listed above.

Benjie DeLoach runs it, really nice guy.

Dick

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the help everyone!

The problem is that many of the commercial plantations release most of the birds right before the hunt, although most do conduct some early release. I am looking for the place that offers more early release and no day release (or very little). I can do the put and take myself. No need to pay hundreds of dollars for that.

Everyone that has hunted at Riverview has said it's the best they hunted... so it's probably where we'll go.

Any other suggestions or recommendations are welcomed!

Adam

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.