April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jolly Bill, Bob Jurewicz, Jimmy W), 385 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Pete
No, coins are NOT currency. Also, the gold certificates were replaced with silver certificates as they were replaced with Federal Reserve Notes in the late 60's as silver certificates were retired. Our notes are now backed with Obamma promises. Doesn't THAT make you feel all warm and fuzzy!

I hate to quibble but this is the definition of currency:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/currency

It is irrelevant that the gold was replaced by paper it was still illegal for US citizens to own gold coins, bars or other non-jewelry items until the early 1970s when Roosevelt's presidential order was rescinded.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Silver was $1.2929/oz in those days. Gold was $35. The dollar (and other currencies) have significantly devalued since then for reasons of irresponsible politicians on both sides. Inflation or stagflation will clobber us soon. That is what you get when you elect a Marxist as president.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Twice,

You're wasting your time, Peat isn't going to admit that he's wrong.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I kind of figured that Destry.

Rd Show Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks JC
I tried the (eposta)email add.and got back a commercial for Kapidex, a pill for acid reflux disease.
Thanks all Rich

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only ever found 2 things "under the recoil pad" that weren't there when the gun was made; strangely enough, they were two different stocks for the same gun!

I bought an old Krieghoff Model 32; when I bought it, I got a 3-day inspection. But, since it was a Friday, I had to figure out if I wanted to keep it by Monday. Normally, the weekend would be a great time to make that determination, but this was an exception. Upon receipt, I immediately called Krieghoff to discuss sending the gun in for an Annual Service. I was asked the serial #, gave it, and was given some bad news: The gun might not actually be a K-gun, but could have been made with left over Remington 32 parts (early, 3-digit number). To make the determination, I needed to pull the stock.

The pad came off just fine, but there was something down the bolt-hole blocking access to the stock bolt. I couldn't tell was it was at first; I now think it was an old fiber wad for a 28 ga. After struggling a bit, I got it out, but something else was there: a fired 28 ga hull! I could see the primer had been popped, so I knew it was safe; after a brainstorming session with 2 friends, we finally figured out how to get it out: we cut the end off a screw, screwed on end into a cleaning rod, and the other end was driven into the hull until we could screw it in deep enough to gain purchase & pull the hull out. It had been filled with shot, & was being used as a weight. Mind you, all this was being done with the idea that I had a couple of hours to get the stock off & send pics to Ottsville for a determination of whether or not it was a K-Gun (if so, I keep it, if not, I send it back!). We made it just in time.

I just bought a used K-80 stock to have fitted to the same gun. When I pulled the recoil pad, once again there was something down the bolt hole! This time, though, it was a real recoil reducer. I couldn't get it out, & asked Krieghoff to pull it out, fit the stock & reinstall it before sending it back WITH the correct bolt to pull it out myself.

Last edited by BPGuy; 08/29/09 12:50 AM.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless someone has removed it in the last 45 years or so, there is an old J Stevens 12ga model 325 floating around out there with a penny in the butt stock. In the summer of 1954 at age 16 I had bought this gun, my very first double. Just about time for school to start I was diagnosed with hepatitus. I was placed upon very strict instructions to avoid anything strenous. We were still raising Burly on the farm then & cutting time was coming up. Nothing was mechanized about this operation then, the stalks were cut, speared onto a stick stuck in the ground & after a few days curing were then hauled to the tobacco barn & hung on racks. Dad hired a neighobor boy who was a few years older than me to take my place, & one day he borrowed my Stevens to go shoot a mess of squirrel. Apparently he thoughrt it "Kicked" (I didn't) because when he came back he told me you could take the buttplate off & drop a penny down the hole & it wouldn't kick as hard. I thought this over & in my own mind thought, that is nothing but pure "HogWash". However when I again became able to roam these TN hills with the old Stevens I used it as was for a while then one day pulled the plate & dropped that penny in. I of course could detect absolutely no difference as I was sure would be the case. I didn't deem it worth a penny though to pull the butt plate a second time so somewhere out there it probably still remains. "IF" I could find this gun, after purchasing it for a reasonable price, if that penny was still there I would add one of those Obama $1.00 folding promisary notes for it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Rd Show Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thought I would bring this up one more time to see if I could any info. Thank. Rich

Sidelock
Sidelock

1860s George Daw with spare firing pins and extractor, probably not seen since the gun was new!

Custom Krag with Tom Shelhamer stamp.

Lenard Brownell's hidden mark.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've found combo hunting fishing license that still had the embossed stamp from the county Treasurer. 1926 and the fee was $2.00. The guy that owned the gun knew it was a family gun but didn't know for sure who owned it. The license belonged to his Grandpa. A friend that worked at Simmons in KC found a letter a father had written to his son telling him how sorry he was for being such a rotten sob father. The kid either put it back or never saw it and the smith couldn't find him.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.