Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gordie Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a 16ga sxs / 7.7 mm rifle made by Miller & Val. I want to know what cartridge this takes and need help. The stamping on the rifle bbl indicates 7.7 mm, and in another place 2,5 g GDP (could be 2.5), but doesn't seem to indicate the length of cartridge, e.g. like 8/74. Looking into the chamber there doesn't appear to be much "necking down". Otherwise, I haven't done a mold or measured anything yet.

Is anyone familiar with what size of cartridge this gun might use and where I can find them if this is an "odd-ball" cartridge?

Thanks/G

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wellcome Gordie,
I would say 8x57IR (JR), made by RWS and Sellier & Bellot. But you must make a chamber cast and measure it to be sure.
Regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could that mark be 2,5 GBP. This would be 2.5 grams (about 38grains) of "Gewehr Blättchenpulver" (Military Rifle Flake Powder). 7.7 would give a bore dia of .303" This may indicate a deep grooved bbl for a .318" 8mm bullet. Suggest a chamber cast & bore slugging to determine for sure. Certainly sounds within range for an 8x57JR, but not likely for an 8x57JRS.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gordie - a small quantity of Cerro-safe low melt point metal can be ordered from Brownell's. I will make a very accurate chamber cast quickly, easily, and safely. Alternatively, sulfur can be used, but be careful with melting it. Clean and oil the barrel and chamber. Place a paper plug about an inch past the chamber and into the bore. Using gloves, long sleeves, and a face mask, melt a small quantity of sulfur in a small sauce pan (the yellow powder will turn to a sorta golden brownish liquid). Carefully pour into the chamber just to fill. Allow to cool. Use a solid rod of near bore diameter from the muzzle end to punch the cast out. Measure the cast and compare to chamber drawings of candidate cartridges ("Cartridges of the World" is an excellent reference. Should you discover that you have an uncommon chambering, consult "Cartridge Conversions" for tips on how to put the 'ole smoke pole back in service.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of chamber casting material, I will admitt that I use nothing but - candle wax. Strangely but so far I had no trouble identifying any of the odd chamberings/cartridges using this very simple method. - Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani - good point for identifying a chamber. I was thinking of die making where you have to match fairly exacting dimensions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gordie, slug the barrel for sure. If the chamber suggests a straight-walled cartridge, I would bet on 8X58.5R or 8X72R because, in my experience, Miller and Val Greiss favored these 8mm rounds. Ammo is harder to get than the 8X57R rounds, but they can be had and are fairly easy to reload. mike

Gordie Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks everyone, good comments/information all. I'm off to melt something!

G

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an 8x58.5R which is marked 2gr GBP / StMG. 2 grams (app 31 grains) flake powder with a steel jacketed bullet. I doubt seriously this round would have been proofed for 38 grains. The 8x72R may be a viable alternate, don't have knowledge as to their loading.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

My caliber suggestion was based on the fact that in a Geco catalog from the 1930s the only 8mm (.318inch) rimmed cartridge using 2.5 grams of powder in one of its loadings is 8x57IR. -Jani

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.