May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stanton Hillis, David Williamson, Kolar Dickson), 772 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,498
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, that sounds more like jealousy than rage--I don't think spaniels can claim any monopoly on that. My folks tell me of their dog "pooh" sitting on the ground in front of a swingset, and every time I (as a baby) swung forward Pooh would snap at my toes...sounds similar, parents suddenly spending more time with the new "puppy" and all. Sorry to hear, although I have also heard many good things about cockers of late, apparently they have bodies the size of a kick-me dog, a heart the size of a mastiff and are a pile of fun to hunt over!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Early socialization has a lot to do with response later on. Because I help train Springers, I've got to watch a number develop. Recently, I worked with 2 litters (same sire same dam), one litter grew up with considerable contact with families and children; the second were raised more or less in isolation. In training and trialing, there are a lot of similarities between the litters; but that second litter is strikingly unsocialized.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm raising our first springer after owning several labs. Labs are sweet dogs and great hunting partners as are many of my friends' setters and pointers. However, none of them that I've been around had the drive, the personality, the bird nose, or the flamboyant reckless courage that our springer has. At 35 pounds she would retrieve an oil drum if I could throw it. She is great around the house and her tail has never stopped wagging since we picked her up. I don't have my new Shooting Sportsman yet but can't wait to see the ESS on the cover. I love these dogs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My two English Cockers (Katie and Jessie) are the thrill of our lives. Katie is a very good quail dog but I have retired her. She is still the dynamo that she was ten years ago but she takes longer to recover now. Jessie doesn't hunt but is strong on a tennis ball.

I think the only difference between a Springer and an Englis Cocker is weight. Both of my females weigh in at 30 lbs. each

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Bill G. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gordon, a friend of mine has trained ESS for the last 25 years. He is one of the best trainers around. He told me recently that he is starting to work with English Cockers and would like to start his own line. He says they are a real blast.

Parker, I know what you mean about heart. My dog Zach is 11 and still hunts quite strong. A year or two ago I shot a rooster that fell on the other side of a 10 or 15 yard wide running stream. Old Zach had no problem swimming across that stream and climbing up the ice on the other side to get the downed bird. While he was over there he flushed another bird which I also shot. He tried so hard to pick up both birds but just could not get a good grip. He finally came back with just one and as soon as I took it from him he turned and jumped back into the half frozen water and went and got the second. He made a bunch more trips across that stream that day and never refused a retrieve.

Sidelock
Sidelock

K & J. You're right about the origins of Cockers. Originally in England the smaller dogs were used for woodcock (hence "Cocker") and were not consided a separate breed for a long period of time. Every so often you hear unsubstantiated reports of someone breeding a springer to to field bred cocker in order to get a bigger, harder-running dog. Of course, no one would ever admit to it.

Last edited by tudurgs; 08/05/09 06:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in a Springer rage that I no longer have my Springer, Pete. I loved Pete, leaping in the air looking for scent or in mid-air after a bird flushed. Pete had a sense of humor better than most people. Pete was better looking. Pete was kind and gentle with my wild four year old daughter. Pete had the bad judgment to think that he could whip a Rottweiler who challenged his Alpha dog position. Pete and I were bloody but unbowed in these encounters. He died in 2002 of an auto-immune disease fairly common among Springers (hemolytic anemia). I miss Pete. Springers are great.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

C Parker, you've certainly hit the Springer personality on the head.

Kate and Jesse, you are correct that Springers and Cockers came from the same litters in the 19th century. Over the 20th century the breeds have split a fair bit, and many trainers say that Cockers (as a group) are more hard-headed than Springers. (That does not mean that they are bad dogs, but simply that they require sterner correction--as a group.) I've only seen 4 or 5 Cockers in training, and while they were more hard-headed than most (but not all) Springers that I've seen, it's a pretty small personal sample.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lorne

You are certinally right about the hard head. Katie has a block of solid iron between her ears. I love her with all my heart but I sure get frustated when she gives me that "Talk to the paw" look.

Jessie on the other hand wants to please and is not a problem with authouity at all.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.