April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marplot, SKB, Kip, battle, Jem Finch, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,791
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#153675 07/07/09 04:32 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

An origional E. F. Flues Serial Nunber 3. From when he was at a shop in Bay City, Mi. Obvious German infulences, but that's as far as I know.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a rifle he made in Bay City. It is based on a Providence Tool Company "martini" action, his .38-55 barrel and stock. I knew he made shotguns after he left Ithaca, but this is the first example I've seen of those prior to that affiliation. I'm envious!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun Tim. I like the look of this gun a lot more than some of his other overly ornate doubles. Does anyone know where his shop was located in Bay City?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be interested in learning more about the Bay City connection, too.

From a Google search:

Second story:
As some of you may know, I collect early Marlin lever action rifles. Friends look out for my interests, and one "very good" friend stopped by to tell me he had seen an old Marlin with a Swiss buttplate at a local shop that was closing it's doors. He said it was in a "barrel of clunker guns", and had a tag of $400.
This was on a Sunday, so I couldn't go look until Tuesday when the shop opened. Didn't expect much as it had been almost a week since he'd seen the gun, and often these leads turn out to be something mundane or not even close.
Still by noon Tuesday I couldn't work any longer, as I just couldn't get this tip off my mind. I left work early and headed to the shop. Upon entering I casually looked all around and found no "barrel of clunkers", so I started to leave. As I turned around, there was the barrel, and sure enough there was a Swiss buttplate! I walked over to the barrel and pulled out a model 1881 Marlin with deluxe 4X wood, checkered, pistol gripped, swiss buttplate, and cased receiver. All very special features, and when I turned the price tag over it read, $400!
I went to the counter and paid the man. He wanted to do paperwork, but I reminded him that no 1881's were built after 1895, so it was cash and dash! When I got home I looked the gun over closer, and to my surprise....anothr rollstamp on the barrel! This one read, "E. FLUES BAY CITY"
After 18 months of research, and a lot of phone calls, letters, etc. I discovered this gun was customized by a gunsmith named Emil Flues, who had a shop in Bay City, Mich. in the 1900 era. Mr Flues was a young man of around 18-20 years old when he restocked, cased, and engraved the screw heads on this deluxe 1881. It was done for a judge in Saginaw, Mi. who was a member of the schuetzen club that Flues belonged to. Flues was secretary to the club, and did a number of guns for club members.
It turned out that Emil Flues was quite the talent, especially for shotguns, and was later hired as a designer for Ithaca Gun Co, where he worked for 30 years until his retirement. (Those familiar with shotguns, or Ithaca might recognise the Ithaca-Flues model name?)This 1881 was one of his earliest efforts, and truly showed at a young age his future capabilites. The whole time Flues worked for Ithaca he had his own business at home building beautiful custom SxS shotguns, and at age 90 when he died he was still working on his last gun!
Hope you enjoyed these two stories of fortunate finds for me!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Channing,

Follow this link tothe answer to your question!

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.no...1.1.2.1/mb.ashx

Phil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Phil

thank you for that info.

Other goodies that I forgot to mention while learning to post photos is that the E F Flues has a Greener cross bolt, it is a sixteen gauge with 28 inch Krupp tubes.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a Lindner Daly marked E. Flues Bay City

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the link Philbert. Id like to at least drive by some of the spots listed to see what is there next time im in the area.

Harry, could you post pictures of your gun? Where is the gun marked E. Flues, the barrel or action?

I dont have my DGJ index at hand but I know there is at least one article about Emil Flues. For some reason I remember a 410 drilling or something like that, but it was never finished because of his death. It would be interesting to create a database of known guns, along with who they were made for.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Sanders
Have a Lindner Daly marked E. Flues Bay City

Harry, I would LOVE to see that gun if you could post some pics of it. Would you share the SN of that gun? What gauge is it?

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone remember Robert Chambers who was a very vigorous promoter of Mr. Flues? He was a bit cranky in his postings, but this gun seems to bear out the ability of Mr. Flues,more so than the Flues model Ithaca to my mind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.