May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 211 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#153000 07/01/09 04:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This will soud strange but I have a old, mid 30's manfacture I think, FN sidelock SXS 12ga with a rather worn out finish. The wood was just cleaned up and it looks good but the barrels are sort of shabby. Some small rust and worn away bluing.

The action is blued and has faded and agged but it looks the way a old shotgun should, at least one that has been used.

So what I would like to do is clean up the barrels some and then protect them without rebluing them.

I like the agged color of the action and if I can get the barrels to look the same that would be my choice.

Any suggestions?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know what look you are really trying for. It is probable the action is a hardened material much harder than the barrels which may make a "same" look difficult. The barrels will need to be rust blued or risk the bluing salts attacking the rib solder if you choose to refurb them. You can clean the barrels gently with some 0000 or finer, oil saturated, steel wool by rubbing them evenly and gently. You will wear some finish off, but they will clean up. Just go slow and check your work frequently

Last edited by jjwag69; 07/01/09 04:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try cleaning the barrels with a stainless steel kitchen scrubbing pad and any light oil (3-in-1, CLP, etc.). The stainless pads do a nice job without abrading any remaining finish. If the cleaned barrels still need more attention, the quick way to refurb them would be a thorough degreasing, and then treatment with a cold blue such as Oxpho Blue from Brownell's. With some patience, you should be able to blend the bluing over the length of the barrels. It won't look like fresh rust bluing, but it should look OK for the gun as you have described it. If you do a search on this site, you may find some detailed instructions that were posted a few years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Parker that had brown barrels. I rubbed them with 0000 steel wool and WD40. All the brown came off and the original blue was hidden but perfect. I would give your gun the same treatment but go very carefully.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bronze wool and Hoppe's Numba Nine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Use bronze wool (available at good hardware stores), not steel wool, and motor oil, rub lightly. Unlike steel wool the bronze wont cut into finishes and the heavy oil will also help protect it. Works well on all blues and I've saved what looked like rusty guns, turned out that pinhole rust had just bled over the surface and the blue underneath was still good.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So if I use the Bronze wool, assuming I can find it, do I then use just oil or should I use some sort of wax to keep the old looking finish in shape?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Once you you get it cleaned up the way you want it, a coat or two of Johnson's paste wax will keep it nice. Marine supply stores carry bronze wool, I'll bet there's a few of those in Florida.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you......

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fishdock I didn't see it mentioned but after you have finished the barrels with the bronze wool and oil degrease the metal with brake or carburetor cleaner before you apply the final wax protective coat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.