April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (WJW), 1,065 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The methods posted above are all satisfactory, but, the finish on an older gun such as this won't take very intense cleaning, or very much of it. The problem you are trying to avoid is an "overcleaned" appearance, and I think you would get just that with any method listed above.
Try this. Stop in at at a hardware store and purchase a bottle of lemon oil furniture polish. The label may say lemon grass oil, but it is the same thing. Put just a touch of water on a white cloth of some sort, and put the oil on top of that-the water keeps the oil "up" on the cloth, rather than soaking into the rag and your hands. Gently work the cloth over all wood surfaces, I prefer to have the wood off the gun when I do this. Allow to stand someplace warm (not hot) for a day or two-a sunny corner of the room is excellent. The sun/warmth will bring some of the dark lubrication and sweat/oil out of the head and checkering areas. Repeat this process a few times until you are satisfied. You can use a lemon oil dampened toothbrush to work the checkering as well, if it is really grimy. After the last application, allow to stand a few days, and finish with your favorite, true oil or tung of some sort are both excellent.
Best,
Ted

Eis Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Ted I will give that a try, matter of fact I think I have some lemon oil around the house somewhere. Now if I can only find it, probably go to the hardware store and just buy another can.Eric

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eric, I would advise against buying a new can. Somehwere in your house is a shelf which is probably sagging under the weight of lemon oil bottles - each purchased in lieu of finding the old one. Adding one more at this point could create a home accident. I know - this happened to me with caulking guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mineral spirits on a soft rag. Stay away fron soaps. They contain water which will raise the grain. If you've got blood, boogers, snot, slobber, or candy on the wood, take a VERY lightly dampened cloth and remove after scraping off the biggest parts with your fingernail. Then, mineral spirits followed with CCL Conditioning Oil.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 12/02/06 08:04 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eric,
I used Murphy's on one of my Parker Forearms. It cleaned it and took what little finish was there off too. I redid it with French Polish. Let me know what you end up doing and how it works. Thanks, Dave Miles
This was posted on the Parker site:
Cleanser-conditioner

Fill glass container 1/4 full of gum turpentine and 3/4 full of a comercially prepared boiled linseed oil. (if covered tightly, this mixture will last indefinately)

* spread thicvk layers of paper under the wood to be cleaned in a well ventilated room

* place the the jar of conditioner on a tray with three soft cloths, 3/0 steel wool and an old toothbrush

* heat some water and pour into a cup or small can placed on a saucer

* shake the cleanser/conditioner and pour enough into the cup to cover the surface of water. Do not stir!

* dip the cloth into the oily layer and apply solution to a small area. Dip steel wool into oily layer and rub lightly with grain to remove dirt etc. Dip clean cloth in clean warm water and wipe surface. Use toothbrush dipped in oily layer on checkering. Wipe any excess off. Discard conditioner that remains in cup when it becomes cold. Do not reheat - its flammable and will become gummy.

This process will clean up any oil finished gunstock. You can re-finish/add an oil based finish when the stock has been cleaned and is dry. You will be amazed at how much grime comes out of the wood and brings the natural grain to life with this cleanser-conditioner.

The source of this receipe is from a guide written by Gena Thames titled "Furniture Restoration, Cornell Miscellaneous Bulliten #23. June 1970.

I would go the mineral spirits route. Have used it many times on old varnish and shellac piano finishes that are dark to black with age. It is very gentle and will also remove any built-up waxes and polishes that may have been used. Also, doesn't stink nearly so much as turpentine. I would shy away from the turp - it is a much stronger solvent and will dissolve many finishes. A toothbrush would work well in the checkering. If you want a bit more aggressive cleaner on the straight wood, mix just a bit of pumice powder in with the mineral spirits. Pumice is used to polish shellac, lacquer, and varnish finishes.

GregSY,

That is funny about the caulking guns. I am now tempted to label each one for a specific day of the week!

Duke

Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow. Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.