May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toby Barclay, Lloyd3, SKB, 1 invisible), 518 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,429
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12671 12/01/06 07:31 AM
wb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Whats the general feeling about opening up the chokes on a older gun?
what I've got is a 20 gauge Ithaca (Western arms /circa.1930) in good shape, locks up tight with good blue and decent wood, one of those carried allot but not shot much type of shotguns.
Trouble is it's choked mod/full which would be fine if this were thirty some years ago and I was busting ducks with lead shot.
I'm mainly going to use it for informal clays and maybe some light upland work so IC/mod would be about the tight as I would want and Skeet/IC probably even better.
OK idea or leave it alone?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like your minds already made up. I'd pattern both barrels at 25,30 and 35 with several shot sizes. You might change your mind.

In a 'real world' hunting gun what's wrong with a mod/full combination ?
L.F.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go for it. Send it to Mike Orlean, he does a super job.
Your gun was made to be used. Open the chokes to what you want and enjoy it. I opened the chokes on 2 of my Parkers, because they are my designated grouse guns. Didn't do me any good, choked Mod. and Full.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Homelessjoe, I would first try patterning the gun at different yards and also with different loads, either reloads or factory and see which one gives the best patern for what you like. If you don't see what you like, then I would go for opening the chokes.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

My notion is no choke at all for 90 per cent of hunters 90 per cent of the time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of years ago I wrasseled with this same dilemma. A Fox A grade c1910 choked M/F I had opened to S1/IC. I now use the gun quite frequently as oppossed to not at all prior to the modification. Although I still feel pangs of guilt about altering and original configuration. So much so that I won't do another gun. Instead I've simply adjusted my philosophy of buying shooters and only buy those with the configuration I want. They are out there. I recently picked up a nice Lefever H 2 1/2" choked IC/F for upland. Who knows, this might have been altered---but not by me. So if you can handle the guilt..................

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had Mike Orlen open up the chokes on an old LC Smith Field Grade several years ago. Prior to doing so I ask the same question as you and I received pretty much the same responses.

What I learned from the process is this: open the right barrel to what ever you want, and I would suggest IC or Skeet but have the left barrel be a little tighter than you think you want. I hunt in nothern Michigan and I think that IC or Skeet is good for the left barrel and IM is perfect for the left barrel.

The important thing to remember is you can never go back and have more choke put in so opt for a little tighter in the left barrel. It can always be opened more later if need be.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok - First things first - The gun is a Western Arms. Although made by Ithaca , it is not an Ithaca, but rather a bottom - of-the -line "price point" gun for those who didnt have the coin or inclination to buy an Ithaca Lefever. That is not to say that it is not a " good and serviceable " arm, ( to quote Whitneys catalogue describing his price point guns) but don't muddy the waters.

Unless the gun is practically perfect, it has little collectors value, although I have seen astronomical prices set as reserves at auction recently. This leaves the issue to one of utility. If you are shooting informal clays and upland game with it, then by all means make the chokes fit your use. That being said, do pattern the gun with your favorite loads and see what percentage you are getting. You might also try patterns with cheap soft shot loads as well. If the patterns you get are too tight for your use, then send the gun to Mike Orlen and get the tubes opened. Never look back and have fun.

As an aside, I have had Orlen open chokes for me - his work is outstanding, turn-around fast, prices fair.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Sidelock
Sidelock

WB,
I'm doing a 20g about the same vintage as yours. If you need someone to do the work locally, Bob Day did some choke work for Jim Legg and he was pleased with the work. His shop is in Pico Rivera.

http://www.americhoke.com/

Also, Possibly Les Pittman in La Habra may do choke work. He bent a stock for my last year and I was pleased with the work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How are chokes opened?

Most original chokes are a straight taper that start anywhere from 4-2" back from the muzzle, out to the muzzle. When a choke is opened is that taper changed?

I asked this question once before and still am not clear. The impression I got was that a parallel section is reamed after the taper, from the muzzle back. This would open the choke but also shorten the choke cone.

Suppose your gun had a choke cone that was 4" long and .030 choke that went from .729 down to .699 along that 4". Mike opens the gun up to .010 choke. Is the cone still 4" long but with a different angle of tapered cone? Or do you have a shorter cone that tapers at the same angle and then a parallel section out to the muzzle?

Thanks, Rob

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 12/01/06 11:23 AM.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.