May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ian Forrester, Guy Ave, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 567 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me start off by saying it's a wonderful thing that Tony is making these barrel sets available. I am considering a 16-ga. 0-frame set to mate up with my 20-ga. 0-frame Repro. Initially, I had thought a set of .410 barrels would be cool for one of my 28-ga. Repros, but Dean may have underestimated when he mentioned this:

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
The bad news is, that set of .410 barrels could add 1/2 lb. to the weight of a Repro 28 ga. This additional weight could enhance the swing or it could alter the balance point and make the gun feel like a club. I'd like to heft one that's had these .410 barrels fitted before I commit any serious cash.

Another poster who currently owns an original 28/.410 bi-gauge Repro set mentioned on another site in a similar topic about these Galazan offerings stated his 28-ga. 26" gun with BT forend weighs 5 lbs. 8 1/2 oz., with the 26" .410 barrels and a splinter forend weighs 6 lbs. 4 oz.---for a difference of nearly 3/4 lb. With these Galazan .410 28" barrels and the same forend you would probably be looking at these barrels adding close to a pound of weight--which obviously is significant and would undoudtedly change the handling characteristics and dynamics of the gun.

At $1895 and what could turn out to be about a pound of weight I'm going to live with my Po' Man's 28/.410 Parker--a 28-ga. Repro 2-bbl set with a set of 28-.410 Chambermates (which weigh only a couple of ounces) until I can get a test run of the Galazan .410 tubes mounted on a 28-ga. Repro.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be nice to see them come out with some 12ga barrel sets.The 12 gauge was the most commonly produced Parker and there are alot of guns out there that have been cut down. Many damascus guns are pitted beyond use or honed and a new set of barrels could put them back in service.I have a DH with a nice #3 frame that has been cut down and honed to be useless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I ordered a set of .410 tubes today since I have more money than brains. Lou assured me they would match up to the 28ga forend and would weigh as little as possible with only possibly a minor weight gain over the 28's. We'll see.

On a related note, my BIL just bought a 'Snake Slayer' .410 pistol for slaying the serpents around his ranch. It fires a .410 shell or a .45 Long Colt. I wonder.....could an old boy fire 45 LC rounds through his .410 Parker tubes? I know it wouldn't be accurate but it might be fun to see what happens.

On a related note, he was able to walk into the Gander Mountain store and buy the Slayer with no waiting period (this is in Texas). Why was he able to do that? Before you tell me it is a smoothbore shotgun it is in fact a rifled barrel for about 3/4" at the end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck if you bought them, maybe the new ones are better than the 16 ga barrels offered earlier. The 16ga barrels I bought SUCK. I hope satisfaction is guaranteed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would guarantee my own satisfaction by carting my 28 gauge Repro to New Britain and trying barrel sets until I found one that fit. If I owned a 20 gauge Repro, I would have made that trip long ago to try 16 gauge barrels. The price isn't unreasonable, it's a bad fitting barrel set that would be unacceptable. I have seen 16/20 two barrel sets from the Skeuse shop that had horribly fitted extension ribs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you lived in Houston you wouldn't cart a gun all that way. I know up in the NE you can drive through 6 counties, I mean... states, in an hour but they didn't write that song 'Miles and Miles of Texas' for nothing.

I figure I'll get them and if they aren't satisfactory I will either return them or stick them in my safe for 18 months then sell them at an astounding profit once CSMC stops making them and everyone is jonesing about how they wish they had bought one.

Last edited by GregSY; 06/04/09 09:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine are sitting in the safe waiting to sell now and its been almost 18 months... anyone wanna buy them? The trip to CT costs about as much as the barrels for me too, so I ordered them. When I called to complain about the fit I was told they can't be returned because they were custom "fitted" to my gun. I was also told "they will be fine, they will wear in." Ha! So I guess that means I'm waiting for the Doll's Head to grow into place. The fact that the top lever won't return from the fully extended right-hand position without slamming the gun shut will probably fix itself when the Doll's head grows into place. Before I bought these barrels I would make absolutely sure they will let you return them if you're not happy with the fit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 28 ga. forend iron might fit the .410 barrels just fine, but isn't anyone concerned about the gap that will exist on both sides between the .410 barrels and the 28 ga forend wood? Or will the .410 barrels have the same outside diameter for their full length as the 28 gauge barrels!!?? The original Parker Repro 28/.410 sets came with a forend for each gauge barrels.
Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

CParker, do you have a set of .410 tubes? I didn't think so.

I wouldn't buy a set made for an original Parker given the variations over 60+ years. But I think the Repros will be much less likely to have fit issues.

Joe B - as per my post, they assured me the barrels would fit the forend. If they are lying, with God as my witness, I have little doubt Zeus will strike them down with a bolt of lightning from high on Mount Olympus. If he doesn't, I can always fly to Connecticut with a pair of Vise-Grip pliers and remove the liar's appendages.

$1800 represents about 3-1/2 months worth of electric bills here in Texas in the summer. Maybe I'll just turn off the AC and sweat for 3 months to make it up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CParker, were those barrels fitted to a 20ga Repro or to an original Parker? Someone will have to refresh my memory here, but as I recall, when Galazan announced those 16ga barrels, I thought they were specifically designed for 20ga Repros. I see the new small gauge ones are supposed to work on the originals as well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.