May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, Marks_21, SKB, 67galaxie, earlyriser, Jtplumb), 692 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,600
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Words to accompany later...
RG

cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Traditionally, the cockies around here reckon the season breaks on or about Anzac day. Either way, leading up to this time of year, laying in firewood for the coming winter, when it's had a long drying summer, and before the season breaks, is a priority. I have plenty of state forest within a couple of kilometres, but state forest here is mostly stringybark. There's a reason the ads in the newspapers call it "common" and discount it by $30-40/ton behind sugargum and redgum. As luck would have it, I still have access to what was the family farm since the neighbour (who is also a good family friend) bought it; there's plenty of mature sugargum plantations, and the swamps are fringed with redgum. There also happens to be an abundance of small game - quail, rabbits, hares and ducks; specifically, a dam which has always held wood ducks (also known as maned goose, Chenonetta jubata). I need little more excuse to drive a bit further west to collect a ute load of wood and have a shot.
I also recently filled another hole in my battery: a 6 lb WW Greener facile princeps patent box lock, non-ejecting, damascus barrelled game gun in 12 gauge, 2 1/2" dating to 1886. The particular hole I convinced myself I needed it to fill doesn't really matter...
While the bores are a bit pitted, there's still 25-30 thou and more in the walls, and externally it's in good order - sound wood and metal, nicely finished. It's an F 16 grade - a low to middling grade of gun. Aware of Greener's own rule of 96 (that a gun ought weigh 96 times its intended charge weight) I had loaded up some 7/8 #8 and 1 oz #5 over light black powder charges.
This new addition needed test firing, just to be sure...
After the tyre test, I quickly learned that even modest 1oz loads are brisk in this gun. But I'm a man, and I could take it.
As I was finishing cutting and loading my load of good wood (bugger spending $100/ton; spending an hour, a litre or so of fuel and oil, and a bit of time and diesel in transit is considerably cheaper and better for mind, body and soul) the weather closed in with howling wind and biting rain; good weather for ducks, really.
So I wandered dam-wards.
The wind had made them skittish, and a good sized flock were wheeling nervously; yet more were still on the ground though - perhaps 50 or more all told. All I had to do was stroll into the wind, pop my head over the bank to put them to flight - held up in the wind, and fire. I did that, and took a right and left.
All too easy, really. Except for the rain. And the wind. And the wood chips and ants which had found their way down my shirt. And the aching muscles from wielding a chainsaw and stacking the results of my handiwork...

I checked a couple more dams, but found nothing. I also went to a private, spring fed lake - covered in ducks - and still got nothing more, 'cos they kept flying away from me before I could get near them...
Theres another reason to get another load of wood next weekend...

Postscript:
It would be nice to come home to a piping hot meal and pipe, slippers and scotch. But I drew the short straw and got to cook. So we had duck breast pan fried in olive oil, sliced and seasoned with salt and pepper as an appetiser. The mere morsel I got had the only #5 pellet any of us found...

I'm making it sound like a bittersweet day. It wasn't: it was magnificent.
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful story Cadet. May you have many more such days.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always thought those were wonderful guns. While the damascus barrel part would be a deal killer for me, glad someone else can put one to good use. Be careful who you let work on that Greener.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I always thought those were wonderful guns. While the damascus barrel part would be a deal killer for me, glad someone else can put one to good use. Be careful who you let work on that Greener.
Best,
Ted

Ted, have you had a bad experience with damascus? Once you turn yourself over to the dark side of damascus ;), steel barrels become ho-hum if not boring.

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a good day out. That wood duck puts me in mind of our green winged teal at first glance though obviously quite a bit larger.

Spent my weekend at a gun show, sold off heaps of useless (to me) gun related junk and put the money right back into some good prices on ammunition. Even managed to buy 12 boxes of short 10 gauge shells, don't know what I needed them for as I've already got about 25 boxes but I couldn't resist.

But I'm envious, I'd have rather been duck hunting......

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Outstanding, thanks for sharing your magnificent day.

Its our turkey season now. Took the little lady Saturday. We had a few birds work but no luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the story, cadet. Great to hear from kindred souls elsewhere. I love the photo. Being a fireplace man, I also found the firewood most interesting. Bet that stuff burns hot! Here in Carolina, I get mostly pine and oak. In Missouri, I get a real mix of hardwood, heavy on the oak.

cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Part II: firewood, fur, feathers.
Collected firewood, did a bit of weekend work running a seed cleaner for a friend of mine, got some rabbits, got some ducks.
First thing in the morning I went to some old irrigation pipes stacked in a lane. They've become a bit of a haven for rabbits, and I counted upward of a couple of dozen sunning themselves and having a stretch as the sun was thawing things out. I fired three shots for two fat, healthy little animals which were promptly prepared and put in the esky.

The ducks were on a dam I've jumped reliably several times now; only time for two shots and they're gone, but both shots seem to connect every time. I also had my little boy with me, who'd been pestering me for a while to take him to find some rabbits or ducks. The two black powder booms as I crested the dam elicited a "Oh, ha haw haw!" laugh which was wonderful.
one wood duck and one black duck.

I'm starting to really like this new old gun of mine and the 2 3/4 dr 3F / 1 oz #5 loads: several "right and lefts", very few misses. It is more wand than gun.
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's an esky? Is that like the barbie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.