May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Borderbill, 1 invisible), 168 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

It had been a hard night.

Up at 7am, worked the day job, drove to the gun show and set up about 5pm, left there at 7pm, worked the night job till 4am.

Figured if I went to bed I'd never get back up again.

Drank coffee at the diner till 6am, home for a shower and back to the gunshow when you saw me napping in my chair that afternoon.

Had to work again that night, wash, rinse, repeat.....

Finally saw the pillows about 7pm on Sunday for the first time since 7am Friday.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

DLH

P.S. Of course I steelhead fished all day today in the rain after working last night so I guess I'm still able. Caught two nice ones!!!!

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Boxlock
Boxlock

ITX shot is malleable but unfortunately can be quite abrasive, and must be loaded with adequate bore protection:

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Retro+Waterfowlers+Delight

This is quite a disappointment, especially in the muzzleloading community. This leaves just Nice Shot/EcoTungsten at the moment, for those who wish to avoid plastic, AFIK.

Regards,
Joel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kurt D
...last time I saw ya you setting in the chair with your head back and trying to catch flies in your mouth

I'm betting he caught some...

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
Pretty much your only options on shot are NiceShot or ITX right at the moment unless you can find some bismuth.

HeavyShot isn't selling their old gun friendly product (Classic Doubles) in anything but loaded shells. The new company that's loading bismuth is doing the same, only loaded ammo.

DLH

There is a gentleman on the Shotgunworld board making and selling bismuth shot:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=158840
He believes that the only patents still in effect pertain to casting technologies for making the larger shot, which he is not using.

Regards,
Joel

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've traded some messages with him, his asking price is $21 a pound.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
I've traded some messages with him, his asking price is $21 a pound.

In case you are interested, there is a group purchase being organized on that board that is at the $16/lb stage now and very close to 200lbs, where it goes to $15/lb.

Joel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who's he going to get to load it for him ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sent him a request. Here is his reply.

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks for the message. #5,6,7.5, and smaller are ready to be made upon order. I don't have much in stock due to the high cost of having it "just sit around" but my turn around time is 2-3 weeks. I can also custom make sizes anywhere in the above range (ie #7).

#4 and larger unfortunately have been quite problematic. I can produce them but despite my best efforts, a fair percentage of the pellets will be slightly oval-ed, and to maximize quality, I hand sort through all the pellets to weed out the worst of them. This takes quite a bit longer to produce a quantity of acceptable shot, so I'll need a bit more time to complete an order. I use a drip method to create the shot and #4 seems to about the limit of the method - at least to get round pellets. I work very hard to keep the degree of oval-ing to a minimum in the pellets I allow to be sold. In spite of this issue, I've had buyers anyway. I myself used the large pellets this fall with a much greater degree of success than I ever had with steel and at greater ranges also - despite the oval-ing. I haven't however made it to the pattern board with them yet, so I have no hard data to share. (didn't think anyone would want them - lol)

The bottom line is shot #5 and smaller will be round, #4 and larger will be mostly round with a small percentage of slightly oval pellets. (and the percentage goes up as the desired pellet gets larger) I'm still working on the methods, but seem to be making little progress anymore. I just want you to know the facts before placing an order. I don't want to hide anything. I can send a photo of a desired shot size sample if you'd like.

Cost is currently $21/lb for orders <10lbs and $19/lb for 10lbs or more. Shipping for any order up to 10lbs is 5 bucks anywhere in the US . Over 10lbs or out of the US and I'll need to get you an estimate. MO's, Bank Checks, and personal checks all are fine for payment and no fee "plastic money" via PayPal.

Once again, Thanks for inquiring,

If you need his email address, let me know.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys,

Any update on the group buy on the bismuth?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys,

I just revisited this post and again want to thank all of you for your thoughts on this topic.

I bought #2 nice shot and loaded over 4 drams of FFg with overshot fiber wads..etc...

I will be shooting an 1878 Parker 10 gauge hammergun. Will report back any success.

Thanks again.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.