April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ClapperZapper, SKB, 2 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,235
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

1923 28 ga VH
00 frame
28" bbls
DT, PG, SFE
original, unrestored condition.
Perfect mirror bores, never honed
Lever right, tight on face
Uncut stock, orig, exc condit DHBP
Hasn't been shot since 1973, same family owned

Thanks for your input
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/wscovell/parker28-00/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somewhere in the $8,500 - 9,500 range depending on % condition - case colors, barrel blue, amount of wear on checkering and remaining original wood finish - could be higher.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It shouldn't have the checked sides on the stock - may have been cracked at one time.

I gotta say, I don't see how people own such lousy cameras...even my cheapest $150 digital takes far better shots than those. I remember the days when a picture was worth a thousand words....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Dean on this one. If the gun letters with the checkered side panels, then it should go over 10. The 28 inch barrels are the kicker for me. I would pass if they were only 26, but others might like them more.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The camera might not be the issue,...the photographer is having trouble with it,...look at how sharp the hand came out while trying to picture the butt plate!...looks pretty sound to me 10K+

How's the fore end?

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

The checkered cheeks are unlikely to be documented since Parker order books pretty much ended in 1919. Only close inspection would pronounce them "right" or "not quite right". They wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. In my mind, they could be explained by the Remington repair codes stamped on the flats. Why else would a non ejector VH grade gun be sent to Remington but for repair of a cracked stock? Certainly not for a mechanical repair.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill: That makes sense to me. The letter might mention the checkerd side panels. If not, a close inspection of the head & wrist should turn up any repair. Anyhow, a 28 gauge VH in solid original condition should be worth 10-15K.

Just My Humble Opinion......George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

They wouldn't be a dealbreaker but they would lessen the appeal, and the value, of the gun for me.

Plus, even if the gun was fixed by Parker, it still was fixed.

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
I gotta say, I don't see how people own such lousy cameras...even my cheapest $150 digital takes far better shots than those. I remember the days when a picture was worth a thousand words....

GregSY: Some of your recent comments I agree with 100%. As to bad pictures, the Internet gun auctions are a glaring example. Some of the people trying to peddle expensive shotguns have their head (and camera) where the sun don't shine. Taking good pictures is as simple as capturing light at the right angle plus correct focus. Practice with a digital camera costs nothing and provides instant feedback. Here's some tips:

Do not use orange or red backgrounds; sky blue is best to complement the metal and wood. Cha's Semner takes good detail pictures of his Remingtons using blue backgrounds; see the DGJ.

Resolution: Set the camera to transmit at about 60 kb, which is high enough pixels to view clearly on the Internet while loading quickly. The pictures in auction catalogs (James Julia and RIA) are typically at 6 mb to 8 mb (that's 6,000 to 8,000 kb's for those who vote in Florida). Sixty kb is good for eBay and e-mail.

Lighting: A regular 60 watt household light bulb in a hand-held fixture can be moved around to get rid of shadows and bring out highlights, but will cast a yellow tinge; fluorescent will tend toward to green; a blue photo-flood from a camera shop will come closest to replicating true colors, and shooting outside on a cloudy day is best. All the photos in my books are shot under six $3.89 brooder lights with ceramic sockets housing 500 watt blue photo-floods reflected in a white light box, plus one or two movable 250 watt blue photo-floods to minimize distracting shadows and bring out highlights. I once asked Bill Headrick how he got such great lighting; he said, "Twenty-two lights." Lighting is important. Going outside on a cloudy day costs nothing.

Another cheap trick: A piece of white paper can be moved around to reflect light in favorable ways.

Set the camera to Macro (the flower icon). Any worthwhile digital camera should be able to focus on your thumbnail and fill the viewfinder with it in perfect focus. If not, get a new camera; anyone thinking about a Parker 28-gauge can afford a digital camera that works. My digital is a Sony Cyber-Shot 7.2 that cost about $200 a couple of years ago.

One of these days I'm gonna figure out how to post pictures on this website...investigation continues. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

EDM,

Just upload them to PhotoBucket then cut and paste the (image) piece of code into a posting and they'll appear. If I figured it out you know it's gotta be pretty easy cause I ain't the brightest light as you well know.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.