May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (ClapperZapper, earlyriser, KDGJ, barrel browner, playing hooky, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought a fairly [qualified] nice Husqvarna Model 103AS in a heretofore unknown (to Husky collectors I know and references I have) combination gun configuration. It was probably originally 12 gauge and 12.7x44R, but for some unknown reason some Swedish Bubba bored out the rifle barrel and put in an insert for a small rimmed .22 CF round. The way the insert is held in place put stress on the rib and a separation is beginning. Since this was originally one of the better Husky doubleguns and has very heavy Special Steel barrels, I am considering having an actual sleeve put in the rifle barrel - maybe .38-55 - and getting the rib and barrels resoldered. I have a good idea what the sleeve will cost, but what about resoldering the barrels? Does this have to involve rebluing the barrels? Thanks in advance for any input.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tough to say without having it in hand. $50-$200 spot repair-total remove and relay. Often spot repairs can be made without the need for rebluing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mark
Tough to say without having it in hand. $50-$200 spot repair-total remove and relay. Often spot repairs can be made without the need for rebluing.

From the looks, this would seem to be a candidate for spot repair. Also, I finally was able to remove the insert and it actually looks like the left barrel had been a .410. The chamber portion of the insert has the basic dimensions of a .410 shell and the bore, once cleaned, is smooth and shiny and seems to have a step for the chamber throat. Why build a doublegun with two different smoothbore barrels of different gauges?

Last edited by Rudybollo; 04/03/09 09:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess is that it was originally a 9,3x57R (360 2-1/4") that was so popular in Sweden and someone had a pre-made liner set up to fit in a .410 barrel. It would have been easy to ream a bad (or no ammo available...) 9,3 barrel to .410 and then with no other effort have a lined .22 something.

Hand waving and hocus-pocus, I know, but it does make a bit of sense.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is a head scratcher, for sure. But it is a beautiful and beefy gun and I am willing to put some effort - and expense - into turning it back into a functional combination gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some pics of the liner/insert. Based on the dimensions, it was reamed to .410 and I can get a ready-made liner in .32-20 or have a slightly custom one made in .32-40. That is about the best I can do with what's there.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.