March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lloyd3, Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, dogon, KY Jon, AZMike), 863 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,022
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
7 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141787 03/27/09 11:07 AM
DES/TSD Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Customer brought in a Baker 10 Ga yesterday for appraisal. Checked all of my reference books but didn't find anything about 10 GA being offered. Bores were .775. Cambers 2 5/8. Barrels were 26 inches with NO choke. This gun is has NOT been taken care of. Kids broke the stock over a fence post trying to open it. Barrels pitted beyond hope. My request. Where to find better information for my reference library.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
DES/TSD #141789 03/27/09 11:33 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Baker/Batavia -- Baker references are --

The Double Gun Journal -- Vol 3, Iss 3&4; Vol 9, Iss 2; and Vol 14, Iss 4
American Rifleman -- June 1968
Shooting Times -- May 1962
Man at Arms -- Nov/Dec 1987
The Gun Report -- Nov 1989 and Jan 1991
Field & Stream -- April 1908
Guns Illustrated - 29th Edition, 1997

William H. Baker was dead before any of the sidelock hammerless Baker doubles built in Batavia saw the light of day. Even the trigger-plate hammer gun built first in Syracuse and then later in Batavia was designed by A.C. McFarland, Patent No. 370,966 granted Oct. 4, 1887. When the plant in Syracuse burned and they moved operations to Batavia, W.H. Baker was ill with TB and they brought in Frank A. Hollenbeck as plant superintendent. Hollenbeck had three patents granted while he was in Batavia and two are assigned to the Baker Gun & Forging Co.

The Batavia guns were the low priced or "field grade" models of the Baker Gun & Forging Co. To reduce costs the Batavia line did not have the "firing pin block safety" or the "draw block" which passes transversely through the barrel lug and mates into recesses in the frame, of the graded Baker hammerless guns and the Model 1897 hammer gun. After WW-I with the rise of repeaters Baker sold their gun business to H&D Folsom Co. a major marketer, manufacturer and importer of low priced guns. Baker Gun & Forging Co. offered their guns in 10-, 12-, and 16-gauges. Folsom added the 20-gauge to the Baker line that they produced. Folsom-made Baker guns normally have an F before or after the serial number. In the very last Baker ads that I've found in old sporting magazines from April and May 1928, and October 1929, Folsom also offered a 410-bore Batavia Leader, though I've never seen one.

During the Baker Gun & Forging Co. days there were several variations of the lower priced "Batavia" line. From a 1909 copy of The Baker Gunner -- The Batavia Leader had twist barrels and listed at $25 -- The Batavia Special had steel barrels and listed at $21.75 -- The Batavia Damascus had Damascus barrels and listed at $28 -- and, finally the Batavia Brush had 26-inch twist barrels and a straight-grip stock listing at $24 and offered swivels and a sling as an option for $3. There was also a Batavia Ejector that listed at $35 with steel barrels and $37.50 with Damascus barrels. Around 1915 they dropped the Batavia line and replaced them with the Black Beauty and Black Beauty Special. H & D Folsom revived the Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels.

Researcher #141847 03/27/09 06:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

To the kids: "Observe the lever on top of the action of the gun near the back part of the barrels. Move the lever to the right, hold in that position while putting pressure on the top of the barrels. Gun should open without breaking stock." I have actually owned two graded Lefevers with evidence that a pry bar was used to forceably remove the forearm. Apparently, the owners of the pry bars didn't realize that the round silver things in the middle of the forearm were buttons, that, when pushed, would release the forend.

eightbore #141884 03/27/09 09:09 PM
DES/TSD Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eightbore;

In the kids defense.....this gun is trigger actuated. You must push the front trigger forward to open the action. There is no top lever to move. I got my education on this gun from Fajen Inc. as one was logged in for stock duplication in the Custom Shop. I too had never seen one and was "quizzed" by the vault master as to how to open it. I guessed correctly.

Researcher; this gun was made in Syracuse, NY per the rib markings. Thanks for the information. I have the DGJ volume 9& 14 but not the others listed. Is there current or past books on this maker? I use the books for reference material and research when duplicating factory stock dimensions and style.

DES/TSD #141900 03/27/09 09:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now I understand the dilemma the kids faced. I've seen people at shows trying to solve that same mystery. I once bought a Parker that someone tried to destroy by whacking it over a fence. However, I don't think the old gal was trying to open the gun, I think she was making a point to her husband. After much effort and expense, the gun is now operational.

eightbore #141903 03/27/09 10:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

People just have to remember that old adage that rarley a hammer, fence post or parking meter will be needed to break open a gun. It prolly 'll be a finesse move...

Timothy S #141917 03/27/09 11:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ahhhh!! Your talking a much earlier Baker, the one that got L.C. Smith started, while William H. Baker left and went to Ithaca to found a new company there using the water power from Fall Creek.

W.H. Baker was making his trigger-break hammer double and three-barrel guns in Lisle, New York, in 1876 and then Syracuse, New York, by 1877, as W.H. Baker & Co. By 1879 the magazine ads show L.C. Smith as being the dominant partner as L.C. Smith maker of Baker Pat'd Gun. Meanwhile William H. Baker leaves and forms another gun company with some other members of the Smith family and the Livermores down in Ithaca, New York, using water power from Fall Creek, and making a new Baker designed hammer gun with a conventional top-lever -- Ithaca Gun Co. Meanwhile William H. Baker's brother Dr. Ellis Baker has a company up in Syracuse called the Syracuse Forging and Gun Co. making an A.C. McFarland patented trigger-plate action hammer gun called the "New Baker" and by 1887 W.H. Baker is back in Syracuse as plant superintendant for his brother. In 1888 Syracuse Forging and Gun Co. burns and they decide to relocate to Batavia, New York. By this time W.H. Baker is ill with TB and Ellis brings in Frank A. Hollenbeck to be plant superintendant. The companies name is soon changed to Baker Gun and Forging Co. and the "New Baker" is changed from being underbolted to being bolted by a wedge thru a rib extension.

Researcher #142778 04/03/09 10:06 AM
DES/TSD Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for your help. I am sorry for the delay in saying so. I have been unable to respond because of medical needs in my family. Thank you all.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.