April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (steve f, 1 invisible), 1,331 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi everyone,
I've got a project gun that I haven't (and likely won't) get around to completing and wanted to come up w/ a fair price on. Not a solicitation to sell, but plan to post soon once I work out a fair price.
Don't have a camera at the moment, but will see if I can borrow one.
Here are the details:
16ga, 30" M/F #3 weight bbls
Philly
Uncut stock w/o cracks, oil soaking but checkering sanded smooth both front and rear (no reshaping). Wood to metal fit is fine and still slightly proud to flush. Original butt plate
Light pitting just forward of chambers and extended maybe a few inches up; very small dent several inches from one of the bbl tips. Light surface oxidation, no external pits. Definitely shootable
Screws are good, some case in protected areas, lever well right of center.

My plan was to have recheckered and possibly rust blue the bbls down the road. Similarly a take off stock could be fitted, or one duplicated, etc. For those that have/have had you know what a dream these are to swing.
Thanks,
Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill: $1,600 - $2,400 ballpark depending on overall condition. More if its Philly, less if its Utica.

Just My Opinion, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with George, I passed on a fixer upper for $1200. Barrel pitting was too deep for my taste. Troll some pawn shoos, sometimes you get really lucky!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: George L.
More if its Philly, less if its Utica.

George,
I have to respectfully disagree. You did look at the recent Utica 16ga SW ejector that sold for $2600? Maybe it's unintentional, but this simple statement reads like a blanket condemnation of Utica Foxes. While it may be true there was a general decline in fit and finish of all the mass-produced American SxS's toward the of their run, there are many Utica guns that are the equal of the earlier guns.

Also, some of the rarest and most interesting Foxes were made only in Utica. Join the Fox Collectors and you can read in the latest newsletter about what is perhaps the rarest of all Fox grades....Utica guns that are sure to be far more valuable than most any Philly SW.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I have to wonder at some of the prices people ask for that extra 2 inches of barrel...if it were 28" barrels it would be a $1000 gun as described I would think (that's what I paid for my 16ga 28" sterly in what sounds like better condition but with a non-original stock and I've seen several in that ballpark in the past few months). Are the extra 2 inches really worth +/- $1000--DOUBLE the price? Although I really would have liked a 30"er, I decided to hollow my stock a bit more instead. I know it only takes one person to think it's worth that, but what % of people are going to be willing to pay that premium for the longer barrels? Not meant to disagree with the posters above, just curious to hear feedback. Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by David Furman; 03/27/09 06:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was one for sale on this board two months or so ago and it went for 1500.00. It did not last long. I don't know the condition it was in.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Furman
Are the extra 2 inches really worth +/- $1000--DOUBLE the price? Not meant to disagree with the posters above, just curious to hear feedback. Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

Not sure where you got the "doubling" of price? There's no price in Bill's post and the $2600 gun I mentioned is a 28". I can understand a market premium on ejectors or a single trigger, even though I wouldn't want either, much less pay extra for. It's the scarcity of those and 30" barrels that makes even a SW "collectible", and once they enter that realm the prices never make sense.

Check your email, please.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Everyone,
Thanks for the help and I enjoy the banter on these old guns. From a personal standpoint, I've owned/own 16 and 20ga SWs in 26"-30" bbls. You can't beat the 26" 20ga for snapshots on grouse around here and similarly, nothing swings quite like the 16ga 30" bbls on pass shooting phez and doves.
Finally got pics taken, measurements , etc and will be posting her in the classifieds tonight.
Kind regards,
Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is easy to talk about pie in the sky now. Track this and see what it sells for.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125857946

Jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

No disrespect to the owner of this gun for sale but it's been on GB for a long time, multiple barrel dents and all.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.