May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (UncleKP), 910 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,853
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140703 03/18/09 01:14 PM
reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My 13yr old English Pointer Died this morning. He really failed in the last 4 days or so, Vet said his liver wasnt working. He and his littermates were dumped on my sister in law when she was an intern. She brought me him and distributed 3 of the pups to another hunter that I dont know. She said he put them all down because they didnt hunt. Ruger was such a natural awesome hunter, it had to be the teacher who didnt train properly. I bought a female pointer 2 yrs ago hoping to get pups from Ruger but I had waited too long and though he tried there were no pups. Ruger would get quail or pheasants on point and then as I moved in he would break point and get to the back side of the bird and box it in. He learned it on his own from chasing rabbits into stacked irrigation pipe. He would bark and bark until I got out there and then go to the other end of the pipe. I would throw a rock in there and the rabbit would run out Ruger's end. He usually caught them and learned that he could head off game if he was in the right spot. Ive hunted with a lot of other peoples great dogs but Ive never hunted with a better dog as far as finding birds(or rabbits,coons,badgers,etc) He loved hunting and even last fall when I walked out of the house with my hunting clothes on he was like a kid on Christmas morning, shaking with excitement. He was mostly deaf and couldnt cover the ground like he used to but he made some great points and found the dead birds. He never retrieved well(unless there was another dog around) but he would always find the down bird and pick it up, then drop it for me. Its a sad day and Im so dissapointed not to have a pup from him.
Ross

Last edited by reb87; 03/18/09 01:15 PM.

reb87 #140706 03/18/09 01:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ross,
Sorry for your loss my friend. Ruger was indeed a special dog and I'm happy to have had the privelege to hunt behind him on more than one occasion. Too all that didnt have that privelege, to witness this old pro do his thing....Ruger was the real deal...and hunters hunter. I never saw him miss or bump a bird. He would pick up birds that my hot shot, speed freak, crack headed English Setters would blow right on by....quite embarrasing to be honest. Old Ruger wasnt a fast burner...he was quite methodical in his approach to hunting, prefering to take his sweet time....just like a old veteran of his craft...let the youngsters screw everything up...I'll be there to teach em a lesson or two. Quite a dog that Ruger. I'll miss him too Ross.

Dustin

LeFusil #140718 03/18/09 02:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ross: Pretty sure I got to shoot quail over Ruger and really enjoyed his company, and yours. Sorry you've lost a partner, and hope you can one day find a replacement for him. Bill Ruger had the Blackhawk, and the New Model Blackhawk, and even the Super Blackhawk, so maybe there's hope ... Take care of yourself. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
reb87 #140738 03/18/09 05:32 PM
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ross, Sorry to hear of your loss. The numbers showed that Ruger lived a full life and for that you are blessed. These are tough voids to fill. Just how special these dogs are is difficult to share. I think I have seen the dog in a few of the photos you shared over the years. I believe when you posted pics of your kids, Ruger showed up in most of them. Aren't we fortunate that the memories live on. Your female has to step up now. Randy

RMC
RMC #140743 03/18/09 06:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ross,
sorry for your loss of a great dog.I like others know the sorrow your are feeling.I lost my 7yr old Chocolate 5 weeks ago and still get choked up when I look at her pictures.
There is nothing one can say to make you feel better,only time will do that.Ruger had a great life with lots of time together wiht you but still to short.
Dave

Last edited by Dave K; 03/18/09 07:14 PM.
Dave K #140747 03/18/09 06:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like Ruger had a GOOD master and long life unlike his litter mates.......

gunut
gunut #140751 03/18/09 06:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ross

I am sorry for your loss. You loved your dog and he loved you. That says a lot for you and him.

Have you thought about getting another dog. I know it is soon but that has worked for me when we lost our last dog. We got Katie and she has been a joy in the field and at home.

Again. I am sorry for your loss.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes you kind of take things for granted. Its been tougher than I thought it would be.

We bought a female pointer (Macy)two years ago in hopes of puppies but it never happened. She is a very nervous dog but has a wonderful point and likes to hunt(with my wife on her daily walks). She is the most timid creature I have ever been around, terrified (seriously) of stern voices and loud guns but she seems to be slowly getting more courage. She was just a few months old when we got her from an overcrowed kennel. I dont know if dogs are like that from birth or she was abused somehow at that early age. Ive been around gun shy dogs before but she cowered at firm commands and if I put a leash on her she locked up and wouldnt move. The first time I was working on having her follow me I put the leash on and she skidded for about 50 ft. I tied the leash to a tree and she kept the leash tight for 15 minutes until I released her. I really got her for a pet for the family and because I thought I would get a Ruger puppy, I wasnt worried about making a hunter out of her. I havent worked with her since but did take her out hunting last fall. She did a good job covering the crp and seemed to understand what we were doing. I had a beep collar on her (so I could find her in the crp) and found that if I pushed the beep she would lay down(in fear). Somebody else flushed a bird 30yds away and shot at it and she also laid down in the grass(in fear) But as soon as I would get to her and say "lets go" she would go back to hunting. She never got a bird in front of her and that was the last time I went hunting so Im looking forward to this next fall and working with her some more.

reb87 #140784 03/18/09 09:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ross, I too am so sorry for your loss. It's like losing a family member and your best friend all at one time.We lost Big Henry in Nov. My wife and I can still tear up when we speak of him.

When you lose your dog, it's like having a big hole in your yard. Every time you look out you see that hole. If you're not looking you fall into that hole every time.

BUY A PUPPY........

Buying a puppy is like putting bushes in front of that hole. It's still there but you don't see it so often and it's a little harder to fall into.

Our deepest condolences to you and your family.

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 03/18/09 09:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like loss of a family member. It's a hard blow. I don't know how to account for it, Ross. It just seems that dogs are so rare in wanting to please and expecting nothing for it. I'm sorry for you.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.