April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, battle, AaronN, smlekid, Ted Schefelbein, Argo44), 456 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Has anyone had any success on damascus bbls using a commercially available solution? If so, did you just follow the instructions or did you have to develop your own process? The published formulae often include mercury compounds and those are not available in many states.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems to not get the requisite contrast of color between the iron and the carbon steel;I think you will have to etch. Other systems just don't seem to get there.

Last edited by gil russell; 11/23/06 04:25 PM.

[IMG]

Etching is not a problem to be Hg-free. Oscar's etchant was/is ferric chloride (and Parker used sulfuric acid).

Others have stated good experience with commercial (Hg-free) solutions. I haven't tried one so I'll leave it up to someone who has to recommend it.

Fred

doublegunhq
I am using a commertial solution "Classic American rust bluing"
from Brownelle and Oscar G.instruction.
Here is some pictures of before and after.
and after
And another one
Bfore
and after

Casey

OP Offline

Nothing wrong with that stuff or your process, Casey!

Thanks,

doublegunhq.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Casey, that looks fantastic! I have a couple of barrels I need to do and this looks like the right way.

Have used Birchwood Casey's Plumb Brown on a Lefever H grade twist that had turned brown to cover sections where I had silvered the metal removing dents. This required heating the barrels and multiple treatments. This ultimately resulted in a good blend in. Feel doing an entire barrel set would lose too much definition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Casey,

When tips did Oscar give about doing this?

Pete,,,
Oscar did write a good artical how to do a damascus finish in DGJ.
Thi was my first try.
I do a lot of Rust bluing so I have most of the equipment neeed to do this.
Dave,,,
I have 6 or 7 more do do of my own, all I need is time.
Casey

OP Offline

WW Greener describes the process in much simpler terms. Simply rust, card, repeat til "dark enough", each time rusting in a warmer room, then boil in water with logwood and "soda" (presumably sodium bicarb or perhaps caustic), OR logwood and copper sulphate. Greener also advocates "Burnishing" before if you want the best finish...Oscar says it's a waste of time (of course it is if you then etch the surface).

Oscar's process seems very complicated. He introduces several additional baths (etching bath, and the copperas bath as well...)

I don't like the etch idea at all. I see Parker used sulphuric etch, perhaps Parker damascus requires this due to the specific alloys used. The copperas in Oscar's recipe introduces the sulphate ions, so perhaps this is the equivalent of Greener adding copper sulphate, as there are already plenty of FE ions in the bath from the barrel steel and iron.

Etching probably has two effects. The first is to roughen up the bare metal, maybe it makes the steel portion more likely to rust because it etches more than the iron in the same time. It also raises the iron relative to the steel, protecting the steel from the carding somewhat. I would think that it has the same effect on the rust itself, rust is rust. And it surely makes the whole process longer by removing some of the rust coating.

The reaction (dissolving metal) probably goes a little quicker when the solution is warm, ie in warmer climates.

And I suspect that to get the really nice "copal varnish" finish Greener talks about, you have to polish the metal well, certainly more than 320 grit, and skip the etching altogether.

Anyone care to comment?

doublegunhq.com

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.