Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry,

That's sort of what Kimber did about 10-12 years ago with the abundance of Swedish Mausers flooding the US. I was able to by high condition Swede's for $69-89 at retail so Kimber must have bought them for less.

They either rebarreled them for the .308 family of cartridges or recontoured existing barrels and removed the military sights for the 6.5x55's they sold. They redid the blot handles and D&T'd for scopes, put them in Ramline synthetic stocks and out the door they went.

The 6.5's with the military barrels went for around $300-350 the rebarreled ones (.243, 7mm-08 &.308) went for a bit more.

I bought one of the 6.5's, I still have it as a backup/loaner rifle, it shoots into an 1-1.5" with that old stiff barrel. I have read that the ones that were rebarreled have experienced setback problem, that action wasn't designed for those pressures.

You rarely see customs built on the M96 Mauser, probably one of the best finished military actions ever and perfectly capable of doing what it was designed for. I have a couple of actions still around here, they can be rebarreled for a few classic chamberings such as the .300 Savage, .35 Remington, .257 Roberts and of course the 6.5x55. Brownells sells pre-threaded barrels for all these.

I also saw other, less known names, doing the same deal as Kimber, they sold at gunshow around here for less than $300 with a bad scope already mounted.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Many Sedgelys have checkering patterns like a 54 Winchester and a pretty thin in places. Are these Model 54 stocks we see on Sedgelys?

No, the Sedgley stocks were made by Sedgley using European Thin Shell Walnut. IMO the Sedgley stocks are a step above the Winchester ones.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Bannerman 1896 Krag with a pistol grip stock. The stock originally had finger groves on the fore-end, but it is a one-piece stock. The stock was apparently made specifically for the converted Krag rifle. It is most decidedly not a high-end piece. It has a WW1-surplus Springfield barrel cut off at the breech and re-chambered for the 30-40 cartridge. The reamer for the Krag chamber did not enter the barrel in proper alignment, because one side of the chamber wall is not quite right. In spite of all that, the rifle is reasonably accurate and functions very well as a hunting rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
Terry,

That's sort of what Kimber did about 10-12 years ago with the abundance of Swedish Mausers flooding the US. I was able to by high condition Swede's for $69-89 at retail so Kimber must have bought them for less.

They either rebarreled them for the .308 family of cartridges or recontoured existing barrels and removed the military sights for the 6.5x55's they sold. They redid the blot handles and D&T'd for scopes, put them in Ramline synthetic stocks and out the door they went.

The 6.5's with the military barrels went for around $300-350 the rebarreled ones (.243, 7mm-08 &.308) went for a bit more.

I bought one of the 6.5's, I still have it as a backup/loaner rifle, it shoots into an 1-1.5" with that old stiff barrel. I have read that the ones that were rebarreled have experienced setback problem, that action wasn't designed for those pressures.

You rarely see customs built on the M96 Mauser, probably one of the best finished military actions ever and perfectly capable of doing what it was designed for. I have a couple of actions still around here, they can be rebarreled for a few classic chamberings such as the .300 Savage, .35 Remington, .257 Roberts and of course the 6.5x55. Brownells sells pre-threaded barrels for all these.

I also saw other, less known names, doing the same deal as Kimber, they sold at gunshow around here for less than $300 with a bad scope already mounted.

The Kimber reworks were imported by Century Arms, and they contracted to Kimber to rework them and restock them. I have a good friend who worked at Kimber during this "fiasco" and he doesn't speak too highly of what went on during this contract. Lots of "that's close enough" mixing of bolts and parts. Even with the volume done, Kimber still lost their butt doing them for Century.
A humorous note; my friend's driveway is about 1/4 mile long, and the fence along it is made up of old Mauser military stocks tossed out by Kimber! Yes, they did that many!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Love to see a picture of that!

So some were sold under the Kimber name and others under the Century name? The Century's must be the ones I saw at gunshows for less money. I guess I got lucky with mine, though I did have to get Ramline to exchange the stock with a better fitting one a few years later.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

A number of Norwegian Krags were rebuilt in the 1960s in Austria for Globe in Ottowa. The .308WCF I owned for a while had a 22" Boehler steel barrel marked "Made in Austria" and "Globe Firearms Ltd. Ottowa Canada". Austrian proofmarks. Sporter stock with pistol grip, Monte Carlo cheekpiece, uncheckered, apppeared to be light colored walnut. Arsenal stamp and issue serial number ground off the receiver during rebuild. In my opinion the .308 is too hot for the Krag so I disposed of the rifle, warning the buyer in writing. I thought of setting the barrel back and rechambering to .300 Savage but decided not to bother.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, thanks for the information on the Sedgelys. By the way, I bought a great field used original at the York, PA show this weekend. Seems like a lot of them never got too far from Philly. Unertl Hawk in Redfield Junior mount, cut for 48 filled in with walnut, ramp and ring front sight missing. Oh, well. I'll fix it.

WJW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry

Found my photo copy of the series in the "American Rifleman" - also have the magazines somewhere, but the copies were more readily available.

The series was actualy a five part series by T. B. Gresham and ran from July 1948 through November 1948. The "dowel/block" method (for lack of a better term) is discussed in the third part of the series and is attributed to a Henry Schoolfield - a gunsmith in Reidsville, N. C.

The series is 21 pages long. I could scan the copies for you if you are interested.

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, Thank you very much for the offer but I couldn't ask you to scan the whole thing. If it is practical to just scan the material associated with the "dowel/block" method I would be happy pay you for it. You can send it to thop1atcoxdotnet. Thanks for the response Bill. Terry H.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a C.C. Johnson Krag in 22-3000 R-2. Stock has piece of wood added to raise comb and another for the pistol grip. Also interesting is the custom scope bases. Johnson had quite a reputation for building Lovells. From what I can gather reading the books from the era, he probably did as many as anyone. This rifle has a slight bulge in the barrel about 10" back from the muzzle, but still shoots into about 1.5 MOA which was about all that they expected at the time it was built.

John

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.