May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 620 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,606
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

In what way is the Hunter related to the Westley single trigger?

Great pics and diagram, BTW!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers posted these finds from American Field on the LCSCA Forum. A few guns manufactured between 1901 and 1903 received Lard's single triggers.

Sept. 17, 1904

Nov. 26, 1904

June 1905

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/19/09 12:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerald,
Your trigger is located on the left side which would be the front trigger of a two trigger gun.
I forgot to ask you earlier, is this a side lock "elsie" or a Fulton boxlock? The reason I ask if it is a side lock, put everything together, except the stock. Put long side plate screw in until flush with other side. Put all screws in even one that goes from bottom trigger plate housing to top tang -rear.
With everything assembled you can see how the trigger functons and how it sets itself up for the second shot.
You can do this with/out firing pins in. Hammers should be re-cocked because you opened (hopefully) before you removed the forend. Pull trigger and see how it sets up for the second shot.
To re-set hammers, go to the end of the receiver and with a 4" adjustable set to the cocking levers size twist them downwards to cock hammers again.
First picture is right barrel, showing location of Spur lever in relation to pillar housing.

Second picture shows how Spur lever has risen to allow for positioning of second barrel (left) to fire. Also note how far Spur lever travels and how frame has to be machined to allow for this. That is why there is no automatic safety with a FW frame "elsie", no room for safety push rod.

I have picturs of a safety push rod installed on a Regular frame Specialty Grade. Interesting the way it is done.
I will email you with my phone #.

Last edited by JDW; 02/19/09 01:37 PM.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, it is an Elsie sidelock-Thanks for the help.-Jerald

"A promise made is a debt unpaid", Robert Service, Cremation of Sam McGee.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JDW-thanks for the advice to assemble. The triggers function flawlessly!
So, after thinking about the screw and selector spring I imagine 'Smith to have "plugged" the tapped hole for cosmetic reasons.
The piece of spring under the screw appears irregular and to have been snapped off but, the case color around the screw and the area immediately under where I imagine the full spring to have sat, shows no rub marks indicating a spring ever sat or "flexed" there. Too, the screw slot shows no buggering.

Also, while "Smith set up tooling to cut one trigger slot, they most likely felt the added cost of the tapped hole and subsequent plugging if not used was not an expense worthy of consideration.
My thoughts only!

Thanks Again for the help, Jerald Ware

Last edited by Jerald Ware; 02/19/09 05:11 PM.

"A promise made is a debt unpaid", Robert Service, Cremation of Sam McGee.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This non selective Hunter One-Trigger was $11.00-$18.00 (depending on grade) option when offered in 1934. Compared to the selective one for $25.00-$33.00 To tell you the truth I believe that in the forgings, they were all made for two-trigger guns, and this forging was made seperately. I could be wrong.
The book says it is identical except for the selector slide. Now we know better.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Your trigger is located on the left side which would be the front trigger of a two trigger gun.

About 99.99 % of two trigger guns will have the left side trigger mounted to the rear. The set back of the pictured trigger indicates to be it occupies the rear positin in the guard. Likely this was merely a slip-up.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, I agree that trigger configuration is unusual for a one trigger gun, but since this gun was special ordered, it was most likely ordered with a rear position trigger, or sent back for it and maybe the new owner had a shorter lop.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

David;
Totally in agreement, I know that in Lefever catalogs was a section for filling out an order for a single trigger gun & the trigger could be ordered in either a forward, center, or rear popsition. I assume LC offered a similar option. What I was commenting on though was this statement you made in one posting;
Quote:
Your trigger is located on the left side which would be the "front" trigger of a two trigger gun. [/quote
I am certain you know better & was simply a slip as it should have read; [quote]Your trigger is located on the left side which would be the "Rear" trigger of a two trigger gun.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,
Thanks for correcting that slip-up, sometimes dyslexia seems to set in.

David

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.