May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, coosa, ClapperZapper), 665 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,508
Posts545,632
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend of mine has a Parker with reaL Damascus barrels that have been etched. Not to represent Damascus but to enhance it. The gun belonged to his father and I presume the etching was done at the factory. It was a beautiful gun. I don't remember the grade.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Faux Twist - a 'plain iron' barrel with rolled "Twist" pattern

"Damascene" - c. 1800 Ottoman barrel with roll-engraved crolle pattern. (Damascene may also be inlay)

c. 1880s Manufacture Liégeoise d’armes à Feu catalog listing Faux Damas Anglais and Rubans or Twist

Crolle pattern rolled onto Plain Iron barrels

The give away is the symmetry of the pattern. Each scroll looks just like the corresponding scroll on the other barrel. And no contrast in the color.

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/17/09 08:25 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Acid etched Twist

Acid etched 'Turkish' crolle

Etched Two Iron Damascus - Twist

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
So did any American gunmakers use faux damascus shotgun barrels? Or was that pretty much confined to the cheaper Belgian guns? Any way of knowing by looking? I'm sure a lot of us have been told by a seller that the gun is fluid steel with a damascus pattern. I recently overheard a guy who I'm sure knew better tell a potential buyer that his grade 4 Ithaca was faux damascus and safe to shoot with modern ammo. He obviously cared much more about money than either getting this guy hurt and/or destroying a nice old double.

The majority of Belgian makers considered it a type of fraud. They petitioned vigorously to have laws enacted to short circuit the process. A law was enacted that basically stated only Damascus barrels could be so marked. Anything that was not damascus, twist, laminate, etc could not make the claim.

Again. NONE of the major US makers used faux damascus. Why should they when genuine Belgian twist aka laminate was so cheap? Destry astutely observed a Sears imported low end gun. On their own guns, Sears never used faux damascus.

Now having said this. There were at least 3 American patents filed to create various types of faux damascus. Rose 1862, Sachs 1889, Warner 1916 Both Rose and Sachs were before the Belgian outcry about faux damascus. There is no indication that either was ever used in production. Warner was an act of desperation during WWI. No barrels were reaching America. There are actually some records of American makers telling potential buyers they can not fulfill orders for Damascus. Warner's patent is interesting because it is essentially what many people do today with full length inserts. Again, no record of this ever going into production.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
A friend of mine has a Parker with reaL Damascus barrels that have been etched. Not to represent Damascus but to enhance it. The gun belonged to his father and I presume the etching was done at the factory. It was a beautiful gun. I don't remember the grade.

Jim,

This was a very common method of finishing. It is most often seen on Germanic guns. Apparently it did not appeal to Americans then. Instead of sulfuric acid, they used hydrochloric to achieve that deep etching. Today, most refinishers use ferric chloride. Early Persian makers used a form of Nitric acid.

Here is an early example from Champlin Arms.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

At one time, in the last quarter of the 19th century, a cosmetic treatment of barrels was done by Schilling in Germany and one rifle maker in England. Name slips my mind.
These barrels were true Damascus and then chemically etched to bring out the pattern.

Go here to see a fine example from Schilling.
http://www.worldpath.net/~jmann/Schilling%2094779%20016.jpg

It does not surprise me to see another example from a maker with the same idea or an example that was later done either by or for a gun owner.

What does surprise me is that a competent gunsmith would not know this and continues this old tale that is so in error.

Best,
John

PS--I see, missed before, that the Suhl gun that I once owned, has been posted. I can assure all that this was not faux Damascus. The barrels were made by Schilling and so marked, leaving no doubt.

Last edited by John Mann; 02/17/09 12:07 PM.

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe Rigby is the rifle maker you were talking about. I saw at the Ohio Gun Collectors meeting back in the middle 70"s a Rising Bite Rigby shotgun that had etched barrels that was owned by Gary Herman from the old Safari Outfitters. Probably the most impressive set of damascus barrels I ever saw. How many of you remember the rifles and shotguns that Gary Herman imported into the U S in the early 70's?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels on your Ithaca are damascus. Terry

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 50 plus years of collecting, the only steel barrels that I have ever seen with an apparent damascus type/twist pattern was a grade G13 Greener that had Greener,s Solid-Weldless, Twist barrels.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another Two Iron Damascus-Twist barrel Roy. A not uncommon pattern in German/Austrian guns

This is another form of Damascus-Twist, a One Iron Crolle-Twist laminate also called London, Baker "Best London Damascus Twist" and "Barber's Pole." Very similar pattern barrels found on LC Smith Maker Baker, H grade Lefever, and Baker Gun & Forging guns.

H. Pieper

Last edited by revdocdrew; 02/17/09 03:22 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.