May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Argo44, bushveld, Bill Davis, Der Ami, Birdog, 3 invisible), 476 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,436
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a spare trigger group that I'd like to get the safety switched to left hand operation. Is it difficult to do? Thanks,
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, and no. You take the pin out that holds the spring and plunger out and dump the parts out. Then the safty shaft will come out. You have to plug the hole and drill a new hole the same size and at the same angle as the old hole was. The safety shaft is then reversed and the ball, spring and pin reinstalled. The old guards made of aluminum are a lot easier to do than the new plastic (nylon?) ones. It just takes a bunch of tinkering and careful work, I do several every year. Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey a topic on here I actually have some expertise in !! It has been a while since I have posted on this forum.

You can buy left handed safeties from several sources.

midwayusa has them for about $15.00

Also Numrich

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=931440A&chrSuperSKU=931440&MC=

If your gun is an older one it may already have the hole in it that allows you to switch the safety.

If you are lucky enough to have both holes then switching is easy.

If not you will have to buy the left hand safety or drill two holes. I do not think that there is any reason to plug the old holes when doing this. I know that some people do as Bill suggest and plug the old holes, but then you can't switch it back.

The Wingmaster that my dad bought new in 1972 has the second hole.
My 1980's 28ga Wingmaster does not.

See the pictures.

p.s. Didn't you try to buy a left handed safety a year or two ago from some yahoo that I recommended? I feel bad about that again... At any rate I have used the one from Numrich and it works fine. and I am sure they will not rip you off...

sigh...

Last edited by erik meade; 02/15/09 06:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how many M870s and M1100s I have cleaned/repaired in the last 48 years and I have NEVER seen one like yours with 2 holes. You must lead a charmed life...... Bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, the problem is Numrich and Brownell's will not ship gun parts to Canada, and I am not handy enough to drill the trigger frame. It's a real pain. I'll see if I can find a Canadian gunsmith who can fix the safety for me.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill Meyer
I don't know how many M870s and M1100s I have cleaned/repaired in the last 48 years and I have NEVER seen one like yours with 2 holes. You must lead a charmed life...... Bill

Doubly charmed I guess, 'cause two of my 870's have had the two holes.

Remington's help center seems to imply that they were putting two holes in as late as 1986. However I have owned a whole, whole lot of 870's made before 1986 that only had one set of holes. So I don't know, I guess you just have to get lucky.

http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/re...amp;p_topview=1

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Could I not turn a new safety button on my lathe? If someone could post a pic?
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The left hand one would have to be turned and then drilled. It would be a lot easier to simply drill the trigger plate.

The official Remington way is to order a left handed trigger plate for about $75. (That is just the plate, not all the springs, lifter, trigger, etc. You switch the parts from the old to the new.)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, and the Canadian parts dealer wants CDN $156.00 for the plate only! I'll talk to a Canadian gunsmith, thank you for your help, Erik.
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.