April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, smlekid, LRF, Marks_21), 256 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10913 11/20/06 09:54 AM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some of you may recall I started asking around 2 yrs ago about what kind of dog to get for my type of upland hunting and a companion for me and my wife. I did finally take the leap and got a 12 mo old started Lab.

I've had her out a few times now and she's starting to work noticably better each time out. Yesterday, I took her out to hunt some quail. I was really impressed, she pointed a covey with her left paw for a few seconds and I suspected there were quail there as this is a common spot to find them. The quail flushed a few seconds after I saw her point. Later she worked the steep side of a heavily brushed hill like a pro, flushing several birds while working very close to me.

I had recently read Mike Gould's book "The Labrador Shooting Dog", which I highly recommend for anyone training any dog. The one thing that struck me while hunting that hillside yesterday was Mike's statement about overhandling (too many commands) the dog. The less I said, the better Jas worked on that hill. Finally, I just got down to only saying anything to praise her when she came by after a flush. The rest of the time I just kept quiet and watched her work.

My brother-in-law shot a lot more than I off of Jas' flushes and she found some of his difficult to find birds.

I only shot a couple birds yesterday, but had one of the best times out there, ever.

Last edited by Chuck H; 11/20/06 09:57 AM.
Chuck H #10929 11/20/06 10:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good dog if the field or blind will make even a bad day hunting a good one! Your dog will continue to improve each time you go to the field. You are on the right track by letting the dog work with out a lot of commands, she knows what to do and you only need to guide her along when needed. Another thing to remember is if she has a bad day not to let it get you down as they are not perfect and need some help sometimes.Last thing is always trust your dog.

baydog #11086 11/21/06 12:34 AM

Chuck, I know you posted a pic of Jasmine earlier, but you know, this thread is worthless without pics!!! Hope you got some from your latest outing. I'm always amazed at working dogs. They are smart, independently motivated, and so much fun to watch. And you get the best bonus of all - they love you for who you are - they'll wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Zircon #11098 11/21/06 03:10 AM

Chuck

Remember the rattlesnake training if that 12-monther hasn't had it yet. Was hunting quail three years ago with a friend and a pair of Vislas, so trained. The dogs' reaction to the four-foot Pacific Diamondback we came across was textbook perfect, even though their training had been two years before . . . . .

outdoorlvr #11107 11/21/06 09:27 AM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bob,
Thanks for the reminder. It was warm Sunday, and I was thinking exactly that. I didn't see any snakes out in Ventacopa near the pistachio and carrot patch but I'll bet some were out in the mid 70s temp. I heard that Rahauuge's has the training.

outdoorlvr #11110 11/21/06 09:40 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

About 12 years ago I got some advice from a field trial judge when I first started handling dogs. After he bounced me out of the trial he told me that he gave the dog an "A" for the series but the handler got an "F". He told me that the next trial I went to I should put my whistle in my pocket, keep my mouth shut and watch the dog. I watch all of the time now (or as least I try, it is not my nature to keep quite). It is amazing what you will see when you are in the field with dogs. I have so many great memories of brilliant dog work. I am on my third English Springer Spaniel and I look forward to new memories every year. Glad to hear that you are off to a great start. Post some pics when you can.

Bill G.

Bill G. #11111 11/21/06 09:52 AM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill
Thanks for sharing that story. I think I may have found some of the emails that Doug Mann sent me, describing the tang bending on Fox guns. I'll send you an email from work today.

Chuck H #11117 11/21/06 10:52 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I'm just in from a great morning with Jake, my just-three Lab, and all the above was confirmed when my buddy and I knocked down nine blacks and a mallard that wheeled outside our tollers at about 30 yards. Three shots-- two from my SKB o/u 20 ga IC/M; my buddy's 12ga 311 misfired on the second shot---and they were all on the water. But in a flash there were only seven; the others had disappeared in a couple acres of cattails and the high spiky swamp grasses. I believe (old age, not wisdom kicking in here) in keeping a whistle out of your mouth and your mouth shut except for a little whispering "Where's the bird, where's the bird?" Watching a dog learning by the minute, doing his own thinking, working it out, is the spice of the hunt for me. I wouldn't go for ducks without a dog.

King Brown #11122 11/21/06 11:47 AM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

King,
I'm starting to appreciate the stories you guys have told of companionship a dog brings to a hunt and your life.

I'm still learning about dogs. I was deprived as a child. Just cats around and I never really warmed up to them. I'm wondering why I didn't do this earlier in life.

Chuck H #11140 11/21/06 12:26 PM
jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My dog virtually every where with me, but the hunting experiences are the best. The worst, is the mud on the banks of the Columbia near the shipyard where the worker throw sticks for the dog. Half and hour later he is clean.
could not resist. jas

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.