April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (fullandfuller, Karl Graebner, CJF, 1 invisible), 1,036 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RMC #135268 02/10/09 06:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RMC
David, Attached are a couple butt extension my brother crafted. Watching the process, he always has his moisture meter out checking the material. Depending on whether a permanent extension or removeable for further change in LOP or Pitch, it can be epoxied (not glue) or only screwed in. I've seen and used both and either proceedure results in a functional and solid buttplate. A piece of wood the size of an extension wouldn't have enough length in grain structure to twist and turn like a waterlogged rifle stock. Change in humidity might be enough to swell the wood cells at the juncture. Below: The radiused extension ( on a LC grade #1 20ga.)is partially complete with additional work being a scrimshaw grouse etching in the bone inlays, final carving of the ebony inlays, stock bent to fit, checkering, and hand rubbed finish. Standard extension is on a LC Ideal, not complete.
Good luck. Lots of great guns can be put functionally and aesthetically back in the game. Randy

RMC ... I really like the workmanship in the second photo. But, tell me, how would that look affect value on a older gun? I guess that the short stock makes the gun worth less already. But with a change like that, that breaks away from cobventional thinking, would I be the last owner of that gun? Or would it add value? {I had a Francott Knockabout recheckered in a "fishscale" pattern to give me a better grip in bad weather and when I posted photos online, I was blasted for breaking away from conventionality}. I know of a nice smallbore gun with a short stock and a hideous 2 1/2" ebony extension on it. And to my eye, what your brother did would look great on this gun. And, I don't mind being the last owner of this gun, but I don't like the thought that I "WILL" be the last owner. If you can understand my internal thoughts.

So, what does everyone think ??

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an Elsie Ideal with one of Glenn's short extensions (similar to the top pic). I had planned on replacing it with a pad at some point, but it has grown on me, and it is a conversation piece. I can always add the pad replacement later if I want to, but it would have to be a 1-1/2" Silvers to get the LOP I want. I think Glenn's work is more attractive than the big Silvers, although less conventional.

If you have a gun that NEEDS something like the extension in the top picture, then the gun doesn't have much resale potential anyway, and is not even shootable. So, why not do it?

Boscan #135317 02/11/09 01:53 AM
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the comments. Next step for these guns if not the extensions you see is a thick ugly pad, or a complete restock. As mentioned, my budget cannot buy the original unaltered gun or have the work done to redo entirely. I've shot dozens of guns worked on by my brother. Biased as I am, the work is masterful, functional and miles ahead of the hideous extensions it replaced. The radiused LC #1 wood is going to be a piece of art. A look at Glens work reveals a continuity of shape and design to add to the gun and not take away from it. I would love to have a totally redone original looking vintage SXS, but not in the cards for me. This has to do. The next owner of my guns is going to have the option of restocking or leaving as is. To extend the uniqueness of the gun work Glen makes custom gun cases as shown below to compliment the gun it's made for. Not to knock the leather bound designs available. This is individualized with original artwork on the outside,on the accessory box and a handpainted Parker logo on the lid. What does the case carry? An extremely worn 1906 VH Parker, 28" with CYL/IC choke. A piece of history without a redo back to its original condition. A tribute to a working gun.......Last photo, To add to the unconventional, look what we do to perfectly good rifles. Raven Stalking Rifles are light, fast handling and quick as a fine upland SXS. How long before the BBS cops drop by and who will it be?? Randy

RMC
RMC #135325 02/11/09 08:49 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not Off Topic, but should move it to "For Sale" forum I guess. A retired gunsmith gave me a small assortment of older recoil pads, and some walnut butt sections that would work for an extension. Not as beautiful as RMC's brother does, but for a field grade gun- servicable. I also have a repaired buttstock pg no cap with a Ithaca sunburst recoil pad- believe it is for a Ithaca LeFever Nitro Special- assuming they were a bolt on design with a through bolt, like the Model 12.

I had a butt section cut off a 1910 era Parker DH 12 gauge- sold the skeleton buttplate and screws several years ago to a gentleman in WI who was "refinishing" an older 12 VH-wanted to "upgrade" the butt (Oprah and Aretha Franklin might pay heed to that) and I used that fine piece of walnut with the checking still intact to extend the buttstock of a friend's 1924 nickel steel barrel Model 12- a 12 gauge with solid rib- some numnutz had shortened the stock and cut it off straight (90 degrees) with no pitch (usually 4 degrees) from heel to toe).

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boscan #135329 02/11/09 09:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

DD - I'm not speaking from exacting experience here, but from a mix of similar situations and theory. It would seem to me that an approach from mortise & tenon joinery would be in order. When you use a flat joint with a solid extension piece, the solid piece is its own object and has the possibility to swell and shrink independent of the stock. The glue joint is not strong enough to exactly matcch the shrink/swell of the stock and the extension. Osmotic forces can be very high; the ancients used dry wooden wedges driven into small undercuts in stone to crack off construction size chunks and shapes. When the wedges were wetted, osmotic pressure exerted sufficient force to split the stone.

So, hollow the extension piece with a thin rimmed mortise. Cut the butt to a matching tenon. This should reduce the shrink/swell of the extension and provide sufficinet glue areaa to force the extension to match the butt's shrink/swell. Along the same vein of ideas, hollowing the butt should reduce its shrink/swell, also. If the mismatch in shrink/swell is severe, the mortise rim could crack. Therefore, I recommend that the mortise be made in the extension as a cracked extension seems less of an issue than a cracked stock. It may also be that extensions must be closely matched as to wood species and grain orientation.

Hope that gives something to consider.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.