May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 263 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

As "alink" says above, the rifling in this new gun is probably quite shallow. It looked that way to me as I looked through one at Vegas. Keith Kearcher and I discussed the possibility of back boring to remove virtually all rifling except the final six inches or so, thus making it into a "paradox" like gun. This should make it much more usable on birds, and perhaps just as usable with the sabot/slugs.

If any of you get a chance to look through the barrels, please try to estimate the twist rate. I was too caught up in the "Gee Whiz" moment that I did not even consider checking that. I wonder if full slugs could be stabilized, or only the much lighter sabots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look up Westley Richards Faunetta 20 ga ammunition. Should be worth re-inventing this certridge for this little gem. Will 20 ga shotgun barrels be available to complete the set?
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I ordered one as soon as I saw it even though I just passed through my second hunting season waiting for my RBL 28. They said 60-90 days on the slug gun so I am planning on at least a year or two. Beretta makes a similar gun but it is impossible to get in the US, I tried for years. I am very excited about this gun for hogs, deer, and maybe bear.... I just hope I get it before I'm dead. I'm too old for anymore CSMC guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dave michno
Has anyone heard if this 20 bore has a 2 3/4" or 3" chamber? As noted in an earlier email, it would be wonderful to know what ammo is being used to regulate this gun. I think is great that an American company has the foresight to bring out such a gun. Looking forward to shooting this shotgun in the near future.
Dave

i can't imagine the thing having 70mm chambers. i examined 1970 vintage fn made browining o/u 20ga superlight? lightning? or ? on the bottom receiver and it had 76mm chamber sutable for both 70mm and 76mm cartridges. could not imagine firing mag in that thing, but it's certainly possible.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Seems that the only real advantage to 3 inch chambers is about 100FPS gain in most loading over the 2 3/4. Makes sense to me that 2 3/4 would be sufficent, in fact the one I have comming has only 2 3/4 inch chambers, but in a commercial offering it might be that 3 inch is viewed as necessary?

On the other hand, from what I have read it seems that 2 3/4 inch sabots shoot best in 2 3/4 inch chambers and sense they are the standard, and lord knows the gun will be rated to a great extent by how tight it shoots a group, that they might stick with that...........

Sidelock
Sidelock

winchester, federal loaded 5/8oz sabot slugs and lightfield had 7/8oz one, but i bet most of what you see on local shelves in 20ga will be in marked 3inch on the box.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun is set up for saboted rounds. There are a lot of options out there. The most common are 250-260 grain loads traveling at from 1600 to 1900 FPS depending on what literature you read.

Plenty of other options out there, up to a 3 1/2 inch monster that the Hastings people make. Not all of them are for rifled barrels but a lot are.

A 260 grain bullet at 1600=1900 FPS is about the same as the original 45-70 load with the 405 grain bullet at about 1200-1300 FPS.

What would be interesting with this gun, sense it has a adjustable regulation system and you can be sure it's plenty strong, is to get brass shells and load full sized bullets in it........

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am wondering how many on this board have ordered the 20 bore rifled offering from Conn Shotgun? As you might guess I have ordered one and am trying to get a feel for interest from other like shooters. regards,
Dave

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some of us were ahead of the curve. Sometime next week I have a converted SXS double 20 rifled arriving. The smith has been working on it over the last couple of months. Don't know how I will like it but the idea is very sound.

Sidelock
Sidelock

About ten years ago, Steve Bodio ordered from me a Bruchet slug gun, in 12 gauge. He bought the gun specifically for his trips to Mongolia, to eliminate the need for several guns. It was regulated to 60 yards with Federal slugs(customer's choice) and produced a 1 1/2" inch group that looked like a pair of eyes looking back at you from the target, at that range, and would have been useful to about 100 yards, if your game was on that day. It was not rifled, and was choked IC and MOD, to use birdshot with the rear sight folded down. He had his choice of stock, and he chose a semi-pistol grip with a cheek piece, and the traditional Darne sling. He would hunt big game in the morning, fold down the sight, remove the sling, and shoot birds in the afternoon, and he didn't need more than one gun in Mongolia. All was well.
The gun was featured in the DGJ, and was, near as I can tell, a far better all around choice than a rifled RBL in 20 would be for both big game, and birds. It was the only specific slug gun I ever sold.
I can't figure out all the excitement. It's been done, better, already.
Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.