April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (liverwort, ClapperZapper, Lloyd3, buckstix, Hugh Lomas), 483 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,067
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any idea if you could order just a barrel set?

Dave
Sidelock
Sidelock

She said the barrels weren't going to be compatible with the 20 G. RBL (!/?) when I asked that very question, as I was going to buy one of the left over RBLs for spring sporting clays and order a set of barrels. Let me know if you find out anything different.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I asked CSM directly and they told me no barrels would be offered for retrofit to existing RBL 20's

Last edited by Brian; 01/24/09 12:11 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Boxlock
Boxlock

Gentlemen: In regards to rifled slug barrels generally the rifles are quite shallow but sharp. My question is can buckshot be fired through a rifled slug barrel satisfactorily. This would add versatility. Buckshot is allowed in my state in many areas and situations. Thanks

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't think there is a "safety" issue with firing buckshot through it but if I understand correctly there are spread issues. Seems that the rifling makes the buckshot spread out VERY fast, or so I hear.

It's also worth noting that what you will generally find is that in a 20 ga a 3" loading of #2 buck is the best you will find. Not big enough shot unless it's a very close one.

That said might not be a bad thing to have should you end up trailing a deer. If he jumps a couple of barrels of #2 buck would be usefull.

Another thought is to contact these folks, http://www.dixieslugs.com/

They make a load for the 12 ga that has 3 very big balls and I understand they are working on the same for a 20 ga.

JRH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fishdock
If you're buying one think long and hard about the recoil pad, it's needed.

Fish,

I can't argue with anyone saying they want a recoil pad on this gun, however I can tell you from extensive experience as the owner of what is probably the worlds lightest bolt actioned 20ga rifled slug gun, (Tar-Hunt Mountaineer barreled action, custom bedded in a Bansner Hi-tech lightweight stock), that recoil is still very manageable with a gun of this weight and current 20ga slug loads. In fact while my gun does have a recoil pad, it only weighs 6.5lbs with scope and rings and I have no problem spending an afternoon at the range shooting through several boxes of high velocity slugs with it.

For reference I would suspect that the perceived felt recoil from this gun, even without a recoil pad, is less than that from a standard 12ga slug with a recoil pad.

JRH

Last edited by JRH; 01/27/09 08:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The CSMC Rifled 20 ga looks really interesting. Wtihout having had an opportunity to handle one though, in pictures at least, the optional mounted scope looks much too high for the quick, instinctive shooting a gun like this is intended for. It seems to me that if you quickly mounted and "cheeked" it like any other shotgun, you would be looking under the scope instead of through it. Even for slower, more deliberate shooting, it does not seem to offer much, if any "cheek weld".

Express rifles sold in Europe, Chapuis for example, offer optional higher stock combs for use with scopes to avoid this problem. Their US importers don't always offer them here.

As it is, gun seems probably only suitable for iron sights or maybe a low mounted red dot sight. If I ever bought one, it would probably get a red dot and sling swivels installed immediately. Another good choice, which might drive some people crazy, would be to use the factory mounted scope, but have an after-market adjustable comb installed.

Last edited by vangulil; 01/28/09 11:19 PM.
JRH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vangulil,

That is an observation I immediately made as well and is a very common fault with US made slug guns. Even the Savage 210 which is a dedicated slug gun suffers from the same low comb.

Fortunately, at least for hunting purposes, there is a very easy fix for this that also has an added benefit. The Beartooth comb raising kit is a neoprene sleeve that fits over the buttstock and allows for spacers of varying thickness to adjust the comb height. While at first thought this might shock the traditional classic double hunter, in reality this product would not only correct the comb height but it would also the protect the buttstock from stratches and dings while hunting in thick cover with the gun. The best part of course is that the entire kit can be installed and removed in minutes. Not only would the kit protect the gun in the field, it would allow you to still off its nature beauty before and after the hunt...

JC

Sidelock
Sidelock

JRH,

Great recommendation!

I hunt waterfowl with a very nice M23 and sometimes, an even nicer M21. I always use a stock protector. After the season I remove it and not surprising I have no new scratches!

Mark

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone heard if this 20 bore has a 2 3/4" or 3" chamber? As noted in an earlier email, it would be wonderful to know what ammo is being used to regulate this gun. I think is great that an American company has the foresight to bring out such a gun. Looking forward to shooting this shotgun in the near future.
Dave

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.