April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (rtw, Jimmy W, buckstix, Ted Schefelbein, David Williamson), 205 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,981
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently acquired a nice early Syracuse 12gauge in very nice original condition. My choke gauge tells me the right barrel is almost full, and the left is IC. It's the only SxS I've run accross where the right barrel is tighter than the left. Rather unusual?

Sidelock
Sidelock

don't know it for a fact but i've heard that some guns for driven game were choked that way for incoming birds. didn't sound totally plausible to me as it's not exactly difficult to fire the back trigger first and then the forward but the logic may have made sense to some people at times.

roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a little unusual, but certainly known to have been done. Your gun may well have come with Full/Full and have been reamed by some owner later on. I'd vote for use on decoying ducks over driven birds in this gun's case.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Some people have enough trouble with double triggers, and for someone to shoot the rear trigger and then go to the front is in my opinion...hard to do. I believe it was for as Rocketman described.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

hi
U might have a lefthanded gun
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most likely the gun was originally ordered by a southpaw shooter. Obviously not every left-handed shooter had his gun custom made; but ometimes one can see a tale-tale bend in the triggers, as left-handed shooters have been known to order triggers made with curvature to the left side. None-the-less, an interesting gun. What is the serial number and grade?

Last edited by topgun; 01/16/09 12:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a southpaw and that is exactly how I would want my gun, only if it is a left handed gun the triggers must also be reversed --That is the front trigger will be in the left slot and fire the left barrel and the rear trigger will be right slot and fire the right barrel.

David
Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW - granted that some people don't seem to have whatever learning mechanism works for two triggers. However, I never think of which trigger I'll pull. I simply decide on the best order, open - tight or tight - open, and the trigger selection happens on autopilot. I am no more able to explain how that happens for me than why it does not happen for everyone. But, for some/many it does happen that way. Single triggers were invented for those for whom it does not happen.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The triggers seem to be normal, meaning just like other SxS's, right trigger in right slot, left in left. No curvature either way. Near as I can tell, it's an O grade, 30" barrels 2 1/2" chambers. SN is 403X.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say someone opened the choke up on the left barrel...for what ever reason.

The triggers were staggered to prevent accidental recoil firing...which can happen with a lefty shooting a right hand double triggered SxS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.