April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, Hoot4570, LeFusil, SKB, Momslefever, Der Ami), 532 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,094
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been fortunate to have been the custodian of that piece for several years. No, never fired, it was a rook rifle when made. The dimensions are deceptive because only first hand do you recognise how small an action/rifle it is, the butt, without the longish pistol grip would render it effectivly a boys rifle, the rings were made to mount the one off rail. The action, when discovered, was in deplorable condition. It should be remembered that it was intended as an ACGG colaboration to highlight, Steve Heillman metalwork, Darwin Hensley woodwork, and Terry Wallace engraving essentially becoming a "skills" excercise if you will.
What was rather interesting about the action, is that it is a "takedown" if you will, the tang,trigger,hammer, slide away from the basic frame, pretty neat late 1800's stuff. The adornment you either like or not but as a fan of engraving, it does'nt get much better.

Last edited by tim simbari; 01/16/09 06:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, thanks for the note. It is a fantastic demonstration of gunmaking skills, but much like the 14 caliber minimauser (mouser?) in the Minneapolis Art Museum show, it just doesn't hit my buttons. Everyone has their own interests and preferences though and that keeps it all interesting.

Some of the most beautiful rifles I've seen in pictures have been posted here by Michael. They are not only exquisitly executed but they, in no way, sacrifice function. And that, to me, is ultimate beauty.

I can appreciate that immense amounts of time and ability went into that gun. But for me, it has to shoot. A lot.

I guess I'm just a curmudgeon though.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD, well frankly I'd probably agree with you about 99.9% of the time but this is one of those "gun as art" things that occaisionaly sane people become infatuated with and since I was able to trade in part foe a fairly rare gun I had, also unfired, well you can see where this is going.
Typically it better shoot and be reasonably accurate.Actually I have a .14Walker hornet and it is lots of fun to make 14gr slugs go 4000fps. with 10 grains of powder.

Last edited by tim simbari; 01/16/09 06:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You hear the stories of folks that win the lottery and 3 years later they're broke? Guns like this would be my downfall... Spectacular and worthy of envy, whether it is ever shot or not.

Dave
Sidelock
Sidelock

Twelve years ago I bought a low mileage two year old car for twenty eight grand and its now worth two.
My wife would ok a second hand black CLK Coupe Merc with cream leather at twice the price of that rifle like a shot but I don't know how I could convince her regarding that rifle.
Probably say I had several like it already.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nero
Twelve years ago I bought a low mileage two year old car for twenty eight grand and its now worth two.
My wife would ok a second hand black CLK Coupe Merc with cream leather at twice the price of that rifle like a shot but I don't know how I could convince her regarding that rifle.
Probably say I had several like it already.

Nero,

That only goes to prove that wives simply have no money sense. If you had spent 28 grand on a rifle twelve years ago, it is very likely to be worth twice that now. Buy her a cheap car and an expensive rifle, after a few years she may come to appreciate the error of her ways.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry, the annoying thing is she is generally right and can also remembers things that I have long forgotten. Like the colour of my tie when we first met or where we went on our first date and who paid as I had left my wallet at home.
My wife can even remember how many years we have been married!
Regards, Roly.

Last edited by Nero; 01/21/09 03:10 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.