April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Argo44, smlekid, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 613 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,085
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#129780 01/10/09 11:05 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello Gentlemen
I new to this forum. I have been looking at the Beretta ASEL
guns (the older ones from the 50's). The ones I've seen have been imported by A&F. Were they made in the SO shop? I have found very little information about them. George Caswell thinks they are the best boxlock Beretta ever made. And feels they are alot of gun for the current market value. Any comments or thoughts about these guns.
Thanks
Terry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not an expert on the issue, and certainly not in ASE's from the 50's, but I really like them and regret not buying one, when available.
I believe they were finished in the SO shop, and had the same barrels as the other SO's, with Boelher steel.
They are regarded by many as (much?) better than the current DT10's, not sure this is true, but I certainly like them better.
Beretta Gallery has a few of them brand new, made with the last actions in stock at the factory. They were built and numbered as a special and last edition, and if it wasn't all the trouble in buying a gun in the US and bringing it here, I sure would have kept one.

HM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome dlbshooter,
I tried to research the guns when i had my 20ga and found next to nothing. They are wonderful little guns but way to light for me at 5lbs. They were available in 12 and 20ga. You will find both pistol grip and straight grip guns with single or double triggers. A&F did import them but you will also find older guns with no import marks. The guns were available with (ASEL) or without engraving (ASE). Renato Telo still makes a boxlock of the same design. Best-JB

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a twelve gauge that is an ASE. It has the same lockup as an SO5. It was made in the fifties and it has two triggers with a straight grip. I believe the "L" in ASEL indicates higher grade engraving, wood, checkering, and finish.

From the "World of Beretta" by RL Wilson - gun first appeared in the 1949 catalogue:

"The ASE:
Beretta's catalogue of 1949 (83) first published the "Sovraprosto . . . Batterie Brev. 47--Cal 12-20." Termed the "MOD A.S.E." the gun was described as with chrome molybdnum steel barrels, the breech finished in chrome-nickel, the ejectors automatic, engarving in English style, double triggers, chamber for 12 and 20 gauge.

The A.S.E.L.

Also in the Beretta 1949 catalogue (83), the new A.S.E.L. had barrels of special chrome molybdenm steel; Holland & Holland type locking system; automatic ejectors; extra deluxe finish; chrome-plated internal parts; in 20 and 12 gauge. Weigh, in 20 gauge 5.4lb (2.45 kg):

It then goes into a long description of the ASE Deluxe which states "Made in the renowned SO Shop..."

So apparently only the "Deluxe" grade was made in the SO Custom shop. The ASE and ASEL were made in the regular production facilities.

My ASE is very well made. The checkering is very very good as is the fit and finish. It balances well, 28-1/2" barrels. What little engraving there is is very good. The ejectors are flawless. Machine made matted rib. It sounds like a hydraulic bank vault door being closed when I close it up.

Best,

Mike

Edit: Correction - the quote about the ASE Deluxe is from a 1997 catalogue so it doesn't mean the ASE and ASEL weren't made in the SO shop.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/10/09 11:46 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The AS Beretta was made in several degrees of decoration, and, unlike the early SO, was made in 20 gauge as well as 12. The basic grade, ASE I think, was largely unengraved with rather plain wood. The ASEL was well engraved and often had outrageous wood, but not always. The ASEELL was a highly engraved, sideplated gun. I am familiar with the latest reincarnation of the AS guns, but they are being marketed at a price that would buy a nice SO gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

dlbshooter,
Rich Cole is also a great fan of the ASE. The ASE is a stout built shotgun that will give good service. All ASE's both from the 50's and current production were built by Beretta's best craftsmen in the Beretta Custom Shop along side the SO's.
NCTarheel

Sidelock
Sidelock

For what is worth, I have a 12 gauge marked "AS12E". It is a box lock, single trigger gun and is rather plain. It has a solid rib, sling attachmets, and no importers name. The action is coin finished with border engraving. The barrels are marked "acciaio speciale al cromo molibendo" (special chromium-molybdenum steel). No mention of Boelher steel.

I bought the gun as a barreled action (sans wood) from someone on this board with the thought of using the 26" barrels as a back up set for my S3. They fit the S3 but I ended up cobbing a stock and forearm together for it and letting my grandson use it.

It sometimes doubles on me. I sent it to Rich Cole to fix but it would not double for him. It still doubles for me on occasion. It may be due to the stock I made not fitting right. If anyone knows of a stock I could purchase for it please let me know.

I may end up using it as trade bait at a gun show or try to sell it on this board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an ASEL 12 gauge with semi pistol grip and double triggers. Great gun. I also owned an ASELL two barrel set which I had acquired at auction. It had fantastic wood. A friend just had to have it, so I eventually sold it to him. Regretably my friend had a broken ankle -the result of an auto accident - which he had fused and which therefore made walking on rough ground somewhat difficult. Due to this he one day tripped, fell on the buttstock and broke it and shattered part of it. Had the gun restocked at signficant cost in another beautiful piece of wood. Used the broken one as a lamp stand. The gun had a single trigger and it started to double on him. Not fun. So off it went again this time to Beretta in Italy as we did not know of Rick Cole at the time. Two years later it came back along with a hefty bill for the repair. I had sold the gun to him for $1500 by the time all the "experiences" had been paid for he had $5000 in the gun. I don't know that doubling was a common malady of the ASE guns with single triggers. I know I love to carry and shoot my ASEL as it locks up just like a bank vault has deep engraving and nice wood. I would buy another in an instant if I came across one. Guns sure have history and evoke a lot of memories.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My AS20EL weighs 5# 3 oz. DT, ejectors, pg, checkered butt. Chokes are .007 and .017.

It shot my first (OK, only) mixed grouse/woodcock double. 7/8 oz factory loads will bring tears to your eyes. I didn't run a straight with it until I loaded up some 5/8 oz/Promo weenies.

My tube gun is an ASE90, 30". Set next to that little 20 it looks like Godzilla.

Sam

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you for your comments. I've seen several of the ASEL's, but never the ASELL. Was told by George at Champlins that Beretta dropped them due to the fact that the retail cost was close to the SO guns.
Thanks
Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.