May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bob Jurewicz, SKB, NTaxiarchis, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 901 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
Boxlock

Hey Baron-
Ken & Boone are doing one for me as well. I am fired up after seeing the progress made on yours. It looks great! I am anxious to get mine finished.

Baron23 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys...as my friend eightbore said, this is not a SxS. It's an auto (best one ever made in my view) and it's a Winchester. A waterfowl scene on the right and an upland game scene on the left have a long tradition on Winchester guns (and reversed by side they are on, they have an even longer tradition).

As eightbore said, I spent about six months searching for every vintage game scene and picture of scroll work I could find and thought long and hard about what I wanted. Ken and I spoke of the project many times, not just details of scratches and cuts, but also the overall appearance and impression we were looking for and how this would integrate with the wood and metal treatment in the completed gun.

My vision for the right side was an illustration of ducks into a farm pond. In discussion with Ken, this morphed into Wood Ducks (my idea) into a Cyprus swamp (his idea). In my view, you can provide guidance and overall aesthetic direction to an engraver and then you have to let them adapt what you are looking for to match their skills and the reality of illustrating on metal. I don't think its wise to try to tie an engraver's hands too tightly and deprive yourself of their artistry and experience.

Also as eightbore stated, the left side shown with short hairs and pheasant is only at an interim stage. Ken is currently finishing it up and there will certainly be the same level of background detail as the right side. There will be vegetation and old broken down fencing and a tumble down barn, etc.

Now, as far as ed1 goes, I am fairly certain his comments are not directed at me or this project but rather are a childish and crude attempt to strike back at Ken for his (and others) posted criticism of ed1's torch jobs. I find his behavior in this thread to be a consistent reflection of his character as demonstrated is the rest of his postings.

What the heck, below are two of the art illustrations that I gave Ken from which to initially work. This may give people who are contemplating commissioning an engraving job a least one example of input vs output between the client and the engraver.

Cheers all

Stephen Meyers

Last edited by Baron23; 01/12/09 03:27 PM.

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Baron that's going to look great! I too, didn't want to tie Ken's skillful fingers when I gave him a commission. It was hard for me to do my latest project, I really didn't have a hard-core idea. I just wanted Mr. Ken's beautiful work. I'm sure it will have his special touch.

Eightbore, is it really 27,000 bucks for classic English Scroll???
Speaking of which I bought a book a about Firmo & Francessca Fracassi's work. Does anyone know how much Italian engravers, like Fracassi charge?

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Baron23

Couldn't you afford feet for those dogs..

Baron23 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They will be in the grass when finished

But if times get any tougher, I will send these feetless dogs out with a cup to beg LOL

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's some beautiful workmanship. Ken, just out of curiosity, I've been doing some very basic engraving for a few years and would like to try some gold inlay, where would be the best source for the gold wire?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Alex, I buy my gold from Hoover & Strong in Richmond, Va. If I can be of any help just give me a call ---- I'll be happy to help.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have written many times of magic guns. That seems strange coming from an engineer, but there is also method behind that little madness. The said magic happens between the shooter and the gun when the stock fit, handling fit, gripping area fit, and aesthetic fit are met all in one gun. I'm no artist, so getting my arms around aesthetic fit is the most difficult for me. This thread has been very helpful in understanding how this process can work. Thank you all very much for sharing.

BTW, magic for one is not magic for all.

Baron23 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen - I will try your patience once again with a couple more quick photos.

Ken finished the receiver and we went to NC to pick it up this past Saturday. Below you will see the finished left side of the receiver which you may enjoy comparing to the in-progress version (inlays only) posted above. This shot was taken primarily to show Ken at work (sort of) and the receiver itself is not in sharp focus. However, the extraordinary background scenery can be viewed.

Also, there is a picture of Ken with a message for the board

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Ken just fine, but I would rather see a closeup of the finished receiver, which the photographer forgot to shoot. The detail of the "upland side" of the receiver rivals the detail of the "swamp side". It is quite a piece of work to be performed on an automatic, but who am I to say what the canvas should be? I remember a Model 50 Winchester that Arnold Greibel engraved a few years ago. It was also quite a piece of work. I have personally examined both sides of the Super-X with magnifiers and I'm rather impressed. The pheasant is wonderful as is the background detail which is not evident until Baron23 posts more pictures. The entire package, finished and with wood installed, will be something to enjoy.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.