May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Guy Ave, claydog), 303 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,772
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#129370 01/08/09 05:16 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am working to restore a #3 L.C. So far the stock is almost done and I am thinking about the action. Orginally it was nickle plated and I was wondering what there is in this knowledge base regarding having the plating restored. I looked at Turnbull and there was nothing mentioned on the site.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a new one on me. Never heard nor seen a nickle plated Elsie. Chopper

Sidelock
Sidelock

One will find many old Elsies from which the case hardening colors have long since faded away. Some well meaning owners will buff the actions until the bare metal shines and resembles nickel plating.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

I tend to agree with the above. All of the Number 3 guns that I have seen or looked at photographs of, were color cased. I found no mention of nickel-plating as an option in any of my reference books. JMHO.

Kind regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are no references of nickel plating being done at Hunter Arms, however one gentleman on the L.C. Smith site can attest that he saw an L.C. Smith nickel plated by Ithaca Gun Co. when he visited them and that they stated this work was done by them. Hunter's policy stated that you could get anything within reason.

This gun is a 1927 Ideal Grade and it certainly looks nickel plated as the engraving is still sharp and not rolled by buffing.

So with any L.C. Smiths never say never.

David

ML Offline

Plating has been found as a factory option on LC Smith shotguns. I found a Number 3E that looks to be plated. In fact I looked at it again the other day and think that it is plated. The Sousa LC was Silver plated if I recall correctly. I think you will find that anything a person wanted and was willing to pay for was available from the builders of the LC Smith shotguns.

Regards
M.L.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a 1929 Specialty that may have been nickel plated by Hunter Arms

Others are out there. This is part of a letter I received from Bruce Miller in NY regarding a nickle plated gun he took to the Ithaca factory for restoration

"NEVER say NEVER when it comes to a Smith. Had you been able to speak with the men at Ithaca, you would have been educated in short order about just how small the gun community was. Equipment was shared as were employees. These guys knew each other and they swapped technology. As I shared previously, the moment the plates came off my guns the Ithaca boys knew exactly who had finished my two guns. They spoke of these two men as if they worked at Ithaca and had gone out for lunch."

It's all conjecture however until Dr Jim Stubbendieck finds documentation in the Hunter Arms records.

Last edited by revdocdrew; 01/08/09 09:24 AM.
ML #129470 01/08/09 07:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

M.L.

If you are referring to the Sousa gun in the Houchin's book, we have that gun in the collection of the National Museum of the Marine Corps. It was/is case colored.

Kind regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, Your Ideal Grade sure appears to have at least some case color remaining. I have noticed through the years that for some reason, one seldom sees vivid case colors on otherwise pristine Ideal Grades. I have 2 Ideals in 12 and 20 ga. that are in excellent original condition but both have fairly weak case colors. I did pick up a decent field grade Smith a couple years ago that is nickel plated. I considered it to be an aftermarket finish and have intended to strip the nickel and restore it for use as a shooter. I don't recall any mention of nickel as an original finish in Brophys' book.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith ,
Those colors you see are shadow colors. Both sideplates are shiny. I almost passed on this gun because of the nickel plating and of some repair work it had on the stock(long crack), but they were done very well and the in-letted area was glas-bedded. The price was very good for an ejector gun. Plus it shoots nice.

Brophy's book does not mention nickel plating but work was sent to Ithaca for this type of work, also in a 1948 Repair Price List from the L.C. Smith Gun Co. there is reference of Blue Locks and Frame....$12.50. So if your case colors were worn off you could have it blued, and I have a 1924 Long Range Wildfowl that has just that. Maybe they did it and maybe they didn't.

Last edited by JDW; 01/08/09 11:10 PM.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.