May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 770 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, how can you say you are using low heat when your bringing out temper colors that indicate ranges of 500-600 degrees? The millions of double's that were given the bone and charcoal treatment stand as pretty good evidence that the process is not unsuitable when properly done. I routinely have my students do bone and charcoal color case hardening on parts for steam engines I have them build in my manufacturing class and the process is not that difficult. However, if any of them turned in work that looked like some of the guns pictured, I would fail them without a second thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

NID with near 100% factory colors

Flues with Dr Oscar Gaddy re-case

Ed1 20g NID
"RECEIVER HAS BEEN RECOLORED AND NOW APPEARS SIMILAR TO ORIGINAL ITHACA FACTORY COLORS"

1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit but test the spirits...because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Last edited by revdocdrew; 01/02/09 03:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

alex: i myself do not do any gun work of any kind. i have neither the skill nor the patience. instead, i utilize the services of ed lander, for most of my repair and enhancement needs. old ed has over 60 years of experience in the gunsmithing trade and does fine work at a fair price. he has recolored literally hundreds if not thousands of shotguns receivers using his low controlled heat, chemical process. most of his work turns out better than what you have seen posted to this thread by what appear to be case color notzs. also, my criticism of those who case color shotgun receivers via the high heat bone charcoal method is well known, particularly by those who practice that black art as a business. as you have read, i have a few enemies, but fortunately have far more friends; many of whom are happy owners of fine guns that have been repaired or enhanced by old ed.

Last edited by ed1; 01/02/09 04:02 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

revdocdrew: like i said before. some turn out better than others. see my gunsamerica listings for other 20 gauge nid pictures. there is also a listing for a 12 gauge parker ph with briley 20 ga full length tubes that looks nice as well.

Last edited by ed1; 01/02/09 03:59 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ed1, so others of us do not error on wrongfully recolor case hardening our guns, can you have Ed Landers explain his process? None of us want to injure our guns, but it would be nice to bring many back to the way they looked when they left the factory. Just don't want to render the gun unsafe or looking like sh*t.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed1....you are just a used car salesman, standing in front of the dents.....not mentioning the flaws and sucking off of the unsuspecting newbees....that is why you've always used a P.O. Box, so your "friends" don't come over and your photos are 100 yard fuzzies !!!!! You are a common joke at gun shows......FYI........

A little honesty is the best course if you're planning on posting on this site.....

Last edited by PA24; 01/02/09 04:47 PM.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

dave: i do not know much more about old ed's case coloring process. he has developed his techniques over many years of trial and error. he even has different chemical formulas that simulate different factory colors for different guns, depending on when they were made. i believe he may use a potters kiln to precisely control heat. what i do know, is that his top priorities in all of his work are shooter safety and customer satisfaction.

Last edited by ed1; 01/02/09 05:08 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24: YOU ARE RAPIDLY BECOMING A JOKE ON THIS THREAD. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE TO CONTRIBUTE, WHY NOT JUST KEEP QUITE?

Sidelock
Sidelock

PA24,
No you are not becoming a joke. A very poor attempt at shutting you down by ed1

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have a dog in this fight, I also don't know if you are suppossed to plug well know dealers either.

Pugs guns has a really nice ithaca flues grade 2 for 1500.00 she is a beauty.
Go to the "Sale Rack" link. scroll down

Jordan

NOT A FAN OF PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.