May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ted Schefelbein), 554 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,461
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does the board think that Magna Porting a field O/U would be benificial for hunting? Or is porting only helpful in competition? Thank you for your responses. -IM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Porting is helpful only to the charlatans performing this abortion. It is another "manufactured" excuse to suck newbies into some jackleg gunsmith's shop. Chopperlump

Sidelock
Sidelock

IM,
I don't find the factory porting that came with my target gun beneficial to target shooting. I have a very similar gun that isn't ported and I can't tell the difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For hunting purposes advantages of felt recoil and muzzle jump reduction would be attenuated by increase in blast and noise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Porting. Went on a duck trip and the two of us had to share a tight blind with two other hunters. No problem. Them on the right side us on the left. A right to left crosser and we get a blast and noise from his ported O/U. Somehow on the next ducks his barrels got shot. Who knew HS would blow the end of his barrels off? And I don't believe that it's helpful in competition either. I could be wrong on the latter but wasn't on the former.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Porting will only reduce muzzle jump and only then if it is done as nearly vertical as possible. The porting done on many guns, Brownings in particular, are more out to the side than vertical and will do nothing but annoy people to either side of you. It won't do squat about recoil. I had one gun ported and it reduced muzzle jump. I would not do it again. It won't break a single target for you, in competition.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 11/15/06 09:59 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

As handsome as a septum ring and as useful as glasspacks. Don't do it.

Last edited by Hansli; 11/15/06 10:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The least needed "improvement" that you can do to a gun. Does not reduce recoil. Minor reduction in muzzle jump is very over rated, the second shot is always on a rising bird so muzzle jump is not a big problem. Noise increase will make you less popular than a dog that rolled in ----, in a small blind. Does not improve pattern. Just a waste of time and money. Almost a sin to do on any gun IMHO and certainly is a sin to do it to a double, even a Winchester 21.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Guys. -IM

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had two shotguns with porting, a B325 12g and my current B525 20g.

In all the shooting I've done with both guns, I could never tell any advantage. I'm not saying it doen't work, just that I'm not a 'sensitive guy'.

I ported a 870 trap barrel for a guy that just had to have it done. I advised against it, but he would have either me or some butcher with a hand drill do it. So, I did it by copying my Browning 325 pattern, using a dividing head in my Bridgeport, and used a brand new carbide endmill to reduce the burr, then lightly honed it. The customer was very happy, even after he had shot it. I couldn't figure out why a trap gun needed recoil/muzzle jump reduction.

In theory, it reduces both recoil and muzzle jump. This is theoretically due to redirecting the gas ejecta up and sideways, lowering the forward ejecta. The effect is most dramatic on high pressure handgun and rifle cartridges where gas/powder ejecta vs projectile weight is closer. The unlimited combat guns with compensators and the big rifles show pretty obvious recoil reduction benefit from porting/muzzle breaks due to this close ratio of gas ejecta vs. projectile weight. A shotgun has a much lower pressure and gas/powder ejecta weight compared to the projectile and therefore the effect is much less dramatic...so much so that I could never feel the effects.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.