April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, Marks_21, Ian Forrester, Karl Graebner, ClapperZapper, graybeardtmm3), 1,095 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
whitey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John Frank was going to take some pictures of what I needed. The next night. BUT I think he had a fast sale of the rifle. So no pictures. I am sure if he had not soold it he would have done it.
Yes I can see how the front of the magazine is retained but the rear? and the trigger guard setup.?? I am sure the magazine etc will have to be hand made etc. And that is fine but I would like things made as orginal as possible. With out haveing to modify that beatifull stock wood. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whitey,

I have no better idea than you, on the rear latch. However, after studying the pic with the back of the magazine showing, it appears to me that there is a rectangular mortise across it. As well, what appears to be the magazine lever, might conceivably be for another application here: that of latching the mortise on the back of the magazine assembly, to some sort of lug on the front of trigger guard.

I note that the 'slant' of the magazine & the front b'll lug are oriented for the unit to slide to the rear as it is inserted into the stock. That would tally with some sort of hoizontal acting lug/mortise interface at the rear.

All just deduction, of course. Mebbe some other contributer can pick up where Frank left off, with detail pics.

Relax; we're all experts here.
whitey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John you and I are pertty much on the same page except. I would hate to guess wrong. Smile HOpefully some one will Know even WR can not give me much info Just a sales broucher.And that they had made very few of this model they figured less than 200. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whitey, do you have any of the metalwork at all, or just the bare wood? Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
whitey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

HI Joe. A FRIEND gave me this old stock that he has had for so may years about 30.I don't think it has a scratch on it. He done it just to drive me crazy. Smile And I would just like to do it as close as possible to the orginal style. You know me I have acumalated parts etc. To help get started soon. And I am sure I will get you involved before it is done.
PS the Fields paten Martini is great thanks. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just found this thread (mostly lurk up on the SxS forum, AR and nitroexpress). Anyway, I was the buyer for Frank's WR 318 being discussed.
I won't have the gun in hand for another couple of weeks, but when I do I'll be happy to take some studied pics of the stock inletting, trigger guard bow, etc. I'm as curious as everyone else to see how this all fits together and hasn't managed to tear up the inletting in recoil.
I haven't contacted the Bozeman WR shop, but did request info from the UK--a very nice couple of email exchanges, but I really don't know any more than what has already been said. Sadly, the ledger records were lost in a fire so we can't date it thru them. If I understand correctly however, it may be serial #d at Oberndorf allowing at least a date for production of the action. Concensus seems to point to the 20s though. I picked up a repro catalogue from Cornell Publications (the 1812-1912 Centennial) and they describe it as such on p 104:
"The .318 'Light Model,' with Detachable Stock for Portability. . .In add'n to our ordinary model magazine .318 rifle with fixed barrel or with detachable barrel we now make a Lightweight .318 Magazine Rifle, weighing only about 7 lbs., 5-shot clip loader. Total length of rifle 42.75 inches. Extremely handy for snap shots in hill shooting. Only those experienced in hill shooting or shooting in a hot climate can appreciate the boon that this light rifle confers. The .318 Bore Rifle has been used with conspicuous success in every corner of the world and at all kinds of game. . . This rifle may be had fitted with Lyman Peep Sight on bolt or Flip-up Peep Sight on grip as illustrated. . ."

Cheers,
Bill

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.