April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (KDGJ, buckstix, Argo44, Roundsworth, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 397 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunsmith Question -- I want to open the chokes on a Beretta O/U (686). They have chrome bores, right? Can I cut this chrome in a controlled way with a regular HSS adjustable reamer(piloted for concentricity?), or do I have to grind through it first with a hone,and then ream to final dimension in which case I worry about concentricity of resulting choke with bore. Anybody know how thick this chrome is, by the way, and when it is put on? My guess is bores are chromed after the choke, chamber and forcing cone are finalized. Is the chrome just a flash coat, or something thin and fairly uniform in thickness?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You need carbide reamers to open chrome lined bores. You will ruin HHS reamer blades. I have never tried honing off the chrome but I think it would be tough.

I do lots of choke work but when I get one with Chrome I send it to Mike Orlen. He has the right tools for the job.

Mark

http://www.mbabllc.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure that all (or any) 686's have chrome bores. I have three early 686 Onyx guns (with the black frame, steel grip cap, and Mobil Chokes) and I'm pretty sure that none of these have chrome bores. I also don't think I've ever seen a U.S.-spec 686 with fixed chokes that would need opening. I believe there were Euro-spec guns (S56E?) with fixed chokes. These look like 686's, as I recall. The BL-series guns also had fixed chokes, as I recall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, the barrels on the Beretta 686s and 687s are chrome plated to prevent corrosion from steel shot. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you will find that all 680 series guns have chromed bores.

Steel shot was not the reason, as the design predates steel shot and early Mobil-Choke guns were not suitable for steel shot - that fact I know for sure.

It's easy to find out. Just use some cold blue in the choke area. Cold blue will not color chrome.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies. The bores in question are chromed, are on a 686S, are fixed choke, and are 24 gauge, F and IM, of all things. I had spoken with Mike Orlen quite a while ago on this. He wouldn't do it, and I don't blame him a bit, as it really is an oddball job. He didn't have the right sized carbide reamer, uncommon gauge and all, and I think he only uses bushing guided reamers, which is the right way. He stated carbide or grinding was the only way through the chrome, and wasn't confident any hone grinding would stay concentric. I can definitely see how it probably wasn't going to be a profitable exercise for him.

In asking my question above, I was thinking about taking my chances with the chrome by grinding through with a hone, and wondered if anyone out there really knew how thick or uniform the chrome plating is. Other alternatives are to either have a custom reamer made, or make some carbide blades to fit an adjustable reamer -- no small task, and probably over my head. Failing that, there are always spreader loads, I guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

MS,
The thickness of the chrome will be very thin. How thin would be a guess. I'd guess less than a few tenth's of a thousandths. The problem with honing is that as the hone cuts thru the plating, it will almost undoubtedly cut thru one are first. This will then allow faster cutting in the steel and cause a shift in the cutting concentricity. How much? I dunno. Maybe not significant, maybe really significant.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

MS, Charlie Boswell at 912-829-3936 regularly reams chokes in chrome lined bores. I doubt very seriously if he has a reamer for 24 gauge but all it would take would be a phone call to see. He has done several for me in 12 gauges, and I have gotten perfect results on the pattern plate every time.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yup, you got the picture Chuck H. That's what I'm worried about, Once you've ground thru the hard stuff in one place, the soft stuff wears at the highest rate. That's why guided reamers are preferable.

Stan, thanks for the contact for Mr. Boswell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to start an argument, but, I had to check this out to be sure-Beretta Worldwide Catalog, page eight -the page with the 687 Silver Pigeon Field Grade- "Internal chrome plating offers maximum protection against corrosion and resistance to barrel stress caused by the firing of cartridges with steel pellets."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.