April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (cpa, JDH, Jimmy W, Pwog, MD2, 1 invisible), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#123361 11/27/08 11:32 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have some new sixteen gauge paper hulls that are 2-3/4" and I want to cut them to 2-1/2". I have a rig (Exacto blade in a dowell rod) for cutting the plastic shells but it doesn't work well for me with the paper hulls.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
With paper, you need a type of cutter that presses/cuts or shears through from the outside, normal to the surface of the workpiece. I hope that makes sense. The old-fashioned crank cutters from a century ago work best, as they were made for the chore. They turn the shell over a supporting mandrel and have a sharp-edged rotating disc that cuts against the case wall. A few laps, and the cut is done. These are hard to find nowadays, and people want a mint for them. They work better than anything else for plastic hulls too. I found an old Lyman product which uses the same principle, but is simpler in construction. It has a cutting wheel that looks a lot like a slightly sharper version of the one on one of those little copper tubing cutters. It has interchangeable mandrels for 20, 16 and 12 gauge, and the mandrels are held in place to the body of the unit with a thumb-screw to allow adjustment of the length of cut. The cutter wheel is mounted on a spring-loaded hinge that pivots on the part that holds the mandrel. You slip a hull onto the mandrel, squeeze the cutter-wheel holder down onto the hull, and then turn the hull until the cut has been completed. Pretty slick. I hope this description helps. Before I found this tool, I contemplated making one. I still do. The only tough piece to make (not that difficult either) is the cutting wheel. frankly I think you could rob one from a pipe cutter and sharpen it a little. You can get replacement cutting wheels for good tubing cutters.

Alternatively, you could modify the tool sold by Ballistic Products. It is made for 12 gauge, and you'd have to convert it for 16 (turn down the mandrel or make a new one). It uses disposable utility knife blades, which is nice. They do not use the rotating disc principle, so the blades won't last as long, and it will take more effort to cut the hull, but it'll do the job.

Tony Lowe

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cut federal papers just at the bottom of the crimp so that I can roll crimp my blackpowder loads. Here's the secret-I just cut them with a razor knife. Lay them on a board, use the bottom of the star crimp as a guide and a sharp blade makes a quick, neat job of it. No gizmos needed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

I think Tony is on the right track. Maybe try a standard tubing cutter with a wood dowel inside the hull. Alternatively, maybe put a wood dowel cut to give your desired hull length inside the hull and cut the excess hull off using an X-acto razor saw.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is set up in a drill press. You can regulate the depth by adjusting the depth gage. This is a box cuter set into a piece of 2x4 material. A table saw blade made the kerf cut and the box cutter fits very snug. I use this for 10 ga. 2 7/8", 12 ga. 2 1/2", 16 ga. 2 9/16" and 20 ga. 2 1/2". Each dowel is snug on the inside of the hull and I have it marked on each dowel how far it had to be on for the correct cut.
If you don't have a drill press, dis-regard, but now a days you can buy them very cheap.
These happen to be 20 ga.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, JDW's method is going to be the best for you. Bring a hull over to my house and I'll make you a dowel. No problem.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another razor blade rig; this one a Jim Legg design with adjustable depth stop added. Works best of plastic hull but has done a few paper Federals.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike replace the exacto blade with a safety razor blade and give it a try. I have used this arrangement on new old stock Federal and Winchester paper hulls without a hitch.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the help. When I find something that works for me I will report back.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Mike,

This tool has always worked for me.

tunes

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TRIM

"It's a good day for something"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.