May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R Reynolds, Jtplumb, SKB, FelixD, eightbore), 255 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know guys on here say to use steel shot in an old gun if the chokes are open, etc., etc., etc.,. But I wouldn't take the chance. If the gun is new and is says it is OK to use steel shot, then I would use it. But only then. It is too easy to mess up a old gun. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Don't shoot steel in your old 37. Get Bismuth or Tungsten.

Moody is correct, but left out one key point. Do NOT use tungsten-iron (too hard for your barrel), but it's OK to use Kent Tungsten Matrix, or the old Federal Tungsten Polymer (if you can find it). There is also the new Nice Shot that is friendly to older guns, but not widely available except from a few big operations. Avoid Hevi Shot and Remington HD.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've asked this question elsewhere, and never gotten a positive answer. "Has anyone actually ever winessed a barrel being harmed when shooting #2 or smaller shot thru a modified or more open choke, regardless of gun age/barrel construction?"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not quite on point, but I once destroyed a Colonial aftermarket Improved Modified tube in an old 12 ga 3" Citori, shooting steel T-shot at snow geese. It seems that the shot hammered the tube into the barrel threads, and it took a capable gunsmith to get the tube out. The tube was a total loss, but the barrel and its threads were fine. No bulging of the barrel. Gun is probably early 70's manufacture, still use it on ducks.

This may be a dumb question but if you have choke tubes installed on an older barrel and use tubes made for steel shot,
does this cause a problem for the barrel? I thought that with modern shotshell design, i.e., cups/wads these will help protect the barrel.

Inquiring minds want to know....

Thanks.

Duke

Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow. Benjamin Franklin
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a dumb question at all, Randy. I think you'll be fine as you & should have no concern for the bbl being damaged. If you do harbor concern, then I suggest you use one of the extended chokes that has all the constriction external of the bbl.

In the FWIW dept. I have an older Remington 870 Wingmaster w/30" factory 'Full' choke ribbed bbl. that has digested well over two flats of factory Remington & federal STEEL loads. All have been 1& 1/8oz. 2&3/4" rounds and the shot size has been almost all #4 steel, though I had some few boxes of 2& 3/4" 3's that went through it several seasons back. It shows zero damage and no bulges in the choke area.
I have seen both Browning supers and German doubles damaged with the tell-tale choke bulges & even loose ribs for sale at shows, but have no factual data what loads or shot sizes were involved to create the damage. I would suspect large shot sizes, early steel loads with inferior wads or handloads using the wrong components like steel BB's [as in like for kids BB guns!]Who knows? But it can happen, the bulging or rib loosening , or both.
I do not fear shooting the factory 2&/3/4" STEEL 1 & 1/8 loads in an 870, but don't know if the steel is the same as that used in the 37's. Might call Remington and see what they have to say. That old Wingmaster of mine has .041 constriction as I recall, but its been a few years since I measured it.

Perhaps something of use to the questions fronted.

tw,

I have a 1970 Remington Wingmaster with 28" full choke ribbed barrel. I was thinking about having Mike Orlen install a choke tube for me. Thanks for the reply.

Duke

Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow. Benjamin Franklin
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now this the stuff I was looking for! Thanks to all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The simple fact of the matter is these guns were only designed for lead shot, period.
The steel used in shot today is as hard or harder than steel used in older barrels. Steel does not swage down as readily as lead in a choke possibly resulting in stresses for which the gun was not designed.
I have a 1939 M37 16 gauge Full choke. I use Kent TM or Bismuth while jump shooting ducks with this gun.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why not just buy used barrel for it. Unlike some other companies Remington put out very well thought out guns. I was able to pick up 2 spare barrels for my 1949 vintage Model 31 and being of same vintage they both fit the receiver perfectly.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.