May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 839 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,723
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120430 11/07/08 01:10 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a high wall with an elliptical silver plate enscribed
"D.S.
Chris. Hermansen
1903"

It is an original, #4 octagon barrel, CCDST, no sights and no dovetail slots cut into the barrel. The barrel is about 32" long and was apparently cut off with a hacksaw. Cut is not at right angle to bore. I was told it came from an estate sale in Nebraska in 1968. Does anyone know anything about the rifle or the shooter?

TIA

Waterman

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you have anymore information such as when and where the factory shipped the rifle, what town in Nebraska it came from. Is there a tang sight or scope blocks and you don't say what the caliber is.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No sights whatsoever. It is a .32-40. The inscription refers to a 1903 date. The action is a flat spring, which I understand was last made in 1908. But the number on the lower tang is in the mid-98,400 series. My understanding of that number is that it dates the action (or at least the tang) at 1910. The rifle has a straight grip stock but a large (?) Swiss butt hook. Someone has tried to put a palm rest on the original forearm, but only screw holes remain.

I got the rifle from Jerry Crozier in Cortland, NY in 1968. Jerry said that he got the rifle and an identical one (no sights, no dovetails) in .22 Short from an estate in Nebraska. I saw the second rifle. It was identical except for caliber.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think a factory letter is in order. I tried to find the owner without luck, at least in Nebraska.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Winchester wall serial numbers and dates sometimes don't match very closely and the dating differences & uncertainties you describe are not uncommon. The dates of receipt into and shipment out of the factory shipping room are available from the Cody Museum for most rifles in your date range, but the shipping destination is not normally shown in the records. Special-order feature details are often given but please be advised that many, many wall tangs have been replaced and substituted over the years. A Museum 'member' can get the serial # info over the phone for free but I'm not a member so you're on your own here.
Good luck, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.