April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hugh Lomas, GETTEMANS), 390 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120395 11/06/08 09:19 PM
DRM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am not a member of any pistol forums, but some of you here have to shoot revolvers as well and should be able to tell me this.

How can a brand new revolver be described as "never been turned"? I know that they say this because of the absence of a noticeable cylinder dragline, but doesn't every modern pistol manufacturer fire at least one test cartridge in every newly manufacturer revolver?

I assume every manufacturer of a newly made double shotgun fires a test cartridge in each barrel, or is my assumption here wrong as well?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I assume every manufacturer of a newly made double shotgun fires a test cartridge in each barrel...

I now know that Beretta does not do that. Two weeks ago we had a guest hunting at our duck club. Guy owns one of the larger gunstores in the area, and actually has gunsmithing on site (somewhat unusual in the Los Angeles area). He's not a duck hunter (he is a rifle guy) so he just grabbed a brand new Beretta Extrema off his new gun rack and went hunting with us. Turns out the gun had no firing pin in it. He will never hear the end of this one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The assumption is that once the revolver has left the factory it has never been cocked. This is apparently a selling point for some collectors. Why you would want to buy a gun that you never plan to shoot is beyond my understanding however.

Quid me anxias sum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Golfswithwolves is right. Unless you are an extreme collector it is like marring the best looking virgin in the World and keeping her a virgin. For who, the next fellow?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stay away from stuff with add info like "never assembled", "never fired",.......Most just want to suck some extra bucks out of ya.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know for a fact that domestic pistol and revolver manufacturers like Colt and S&W test fired their revolvers before they left the factory. In years gone by when manufactures took more pride in their products the pistols would arrive with the test target that was used in the box with the pistol.
This was of particular importance to match shooters using products from Colt & S&W. I have several of these old target model pistols in 22lr and 38spl and they are a sight to behold as well as to shoot as they were hand finished assembled and timed.
I was told by a S&W official that they would be cost prohibitive to produce today.
As far as uncocked and unturned goes this mania started with the "commerative" craze of about 30 years ago. The object of this was to get an example like the "The Lone Ranger Shoots Tonto" Commerative genuine 45cal Colt made in Italy by Uberti and just look at it keep it in it's original box and eventually it would be worth $$$$$$$!.
This was of course in the same category as the Jim Beam bottle craze. I still run across these at estate sales and for whatever it's worth the bottles aren't worth much but contents are usually still good!!
Happy Hunting.
Here is an example of an unfired revolver in my collection. It is a Colt cobra that was made in 1967. The smudgy look to the blueing is the original factory grease. The interior parts are frozen with grease and I've never cocked it. It took some doing to swing the cylinder out to record the serial number when I acquired it.

Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 11/07/08 01:14 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Golfswithwolves is right. Unless you are an extreme collector it is like marring the best looking virgin in the World and keeping her a virgin. For who, the next fellow?
KY Jon, THAT is an excellent analogy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sold three Colt Pythons a while back that had never been turned. They were still new in the box, with the books, inside the plastic bags from the factory and had the plastic band over the hammer that was put on at the factory. So, I know they had never been turned. I bought them as an investment several years ago an got quite a bit more than I paid for them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never had a new revolver. Never had a box. Draglines don't bother me but I like the nickelplate all there and unscratched on those Elvisy old Smiths. Smith model 19 is just about the perfect revolver according to me.

jack

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.